Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trunnion alternatives

kingsea99

Afternoon all.

Have spent a few hours in the archives but am struggling to find a definitive answer so thought I would ask....

I have a mid 90's (registered) crossflow live axle car that still has the trunnion lower front suspension.  I have replaced the top wishbones  (were originally two piece) for single piece and would now like to replace the trunnions for spherical bearings.

Ordinarily I understand the method would be to replace the vertical links (for the later type) and bolt on new wishbones, but in my case the lower wishbones use the Y9 front bush (and a smaller bolt size) rather than the regular bush type and I have found nothing in the archives on a wishbone that has a y9 front bush, regular rear, and a spherical bearing for the vertical link.

A couple of threads have mentioned the Canley Classics Trunnionless conversion but when i spoke to them this morning they said their upright is designed to use the Caterham lower wishbone  with the spherical joint which in my case doesnt seem to be an option, and the trunnion replacement may not work with the caterham arms - picture here on the rimmer bros website https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RL1685

Anyone done the conversion with the same wishbones or any other options? 

Many thanks

Sean

• Area Representative

Hi, it might be worth a call to Bruce at Arch Motors.  I can recall some similar conversions to the spherical bearing setup with the lower lug on the chassis being cut off and a new boss being added and then the same large bolt being used as a DD car.

Regards

Nick

Just completed swap over to Canleys trunnionless set up. Straight swap for the double wishbone set up on the Caterham. Not yet back on the road due to lockdown and I will have the geometry professionally set up as soon as this bloody virus permits. I also changed the hubs as well as the uprights as this brought the benefit of much bigger bearings