Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery maintenance

Alan Clark

• Area Representative

Probably, if it's connected directly to the battery, just check the wiring. You should have some smaller wires connected to the battery trace them back or disconnect one and see if the cig lighter socket stops working, or use a meter.  Normally the wiring has an in line fuse.

Nick

If you have a non sealed battery, remember to check and top up the cells on a regular basis, learnt that lesson the expensive new battery way.....very easy to forget when you leave the bonnet on and trickle charge through the cigarette socket.....*rotate*

Re #9:

The wiring on my car is such that the isolator switch does kill the connection between "cigarette" socket and the battery.

Do you have any parasitic drains, such as an immobiliser?  If so, does your conditioner cope ok?

I ask as I deliberately wired in my socket to be always live, even though that undermines somewhat the purpose of my FIA switch.  (I use an Accumate.)

JV

• Area Representative
JV. Thank you for your concern.

This is the Crossflow, so parasitic load/drain isn't an issue.

OTOH:- with the 21 (K Series and Emerald formerly MEMS & 5AS) parasitic drain was a major issue (1 week or 10 days from blat to unable to start) so I put a circuit break across the earth to battery. Problem solved (this is more than a decade ago).