Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R Sump Clearance.

Martin_mad

Many thanks, my wife just measured the clearance with me onboard and got 75-77mm. (I've made a series of GO - NO GO gauges from blocks of wood). I set it to 70mm last year with a rake of 10mm. Clearance increased by 5-7mm and rake has reduced to 5mm both sides.

you need to factor in where your driving and what springs and dampers your running as these directly affect how the car goes thro its prescribed travel.

The roads over here have some vicious cats eyes and the Broads are quite heavily crowned too - they've taken more than one Caterham sump !!

All your checks and adjustments for ride height rake and any other set up geometry must be done with suitable ballast on board reflective driver and or passenger weight, also dont forget fuel.

The Raceline DS gives you 35mm more ground clearance compared to the Raceline wet sump on the front edge.

If your unlucky enough to kiss a wet sump on the road you are highly likely to at worst crack the sump, tear the front corner off or lift the engine on its mounts and ding the bonnet.... 

NB:  And if you do and ring your recovery people DO NOT tell them you've kissed the sump as they consider this to be an accident and not breakdown - and therefore will not recover you. this happened to me and another member *censored*

Say the engine died and you've not idea why......

Raceline DS is really a no brainer on a Duratec  *thumbs_up_thumb* 

The wet sump I had (I believe there have been about 3 variations though) was level with the bellhousing, however this isnt the part that kisses first under a hard compression whilst at pace - its the front edge this is where you gain 35mm by going DS

The bellhousng sits lower that the scavenge trough on the DS pan and leaves a lip for which you need the nylon tapered block to prevent getting wedged on things.

I've only scraped the bellhousing once on a speed hump on route to sunday lunch at a hotel in Wales.

There are two wdge options depending on which version of the Raceline pan you have

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/dry-sump/5601-dry-sump-guard-duratec-nylon.html?search_query=dry+sump&results=132

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/dry-sump/6506-dry-sump-wedge-kit.html?search_query=dry+sump&results=132