Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tintop clutch problem?

Ivaan

I have an old Audi A6 with 140K miles on the clock.

Last 3 - 4 months the gear changes are getting graunchy, notchy as it goes through the gate. Happens on every gearchange, up or down, irrespective of revs or speed. It could be the clutch, but it's not slipping, nor dragging and seems to operate normally. The bite point may be a touch low to the floor, but it does fully disengage. When clutches go through wear, what are the typical symptoms?

I guess it could also be a master/slave cylinder or a gearbox problem. ( Recently changed the gearbox oil which made changes a touch better for a short while )

Clutch change is circa £1K, and it's too big a job for me to do myself, so wanting to explore all possible faults before heading my local garage. Any advice welcome.

TIA Clive

DMF can cause exactly that and as Ian says: It's not uncomon for VAG cars. My T5 had exactly this happening when I stole it from someone who could not repair it himself... At the same time it was in for a new starter motor, ball joints, diesel heater, dampers and other funny stuff, so it had to be a steal...