Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For the Garage Queens who want to blat in the Autumn and Winter

Titanium7

A very good product, often used on Motorcycles to combat corrosion from water/salt is Scottoiler FS365. Easy to apply to the underneath of the car by just using the spray followed by a quick wipe with a rag. It's an oil emulsion that leaves a very thin protective coating on the the car. Can be found for around £10 a litre on the net. Easily cleaned off in the spring. Thoroughly recommend it after using it on bikes for years.

C52FF49C-9F54-47DA-9F3A-522095A81CE9.jpeg.d850bce9b1d32058242b7cecda6d9746.jpeg

Hi Nick, yes I have used both and this is a slightly different product as the water content of the emulsion evaporates off and leaves a very thin oily coating.

Scottoiler FS 365 works in a number of ways to reduce corrosion.

Pure water on it’s own will not cause corrosion, however as soon as it comes into contact with the atmosphere it absorbs acidic gases such as carbon dioxide that do.  This is where FS 365 comes in.  FS 365 is formulated using mild alkalis and chemical compounds known as pH buffers that work to balance out the acidic elements.

The process of rusting and oxidising requires water vapour, air and time (salt and heat speed up this process as catalysts to the reaction).  FS 365 acts as a corrosion inhibitor in two further ways:

In general by supplying a lubricant to all metal surfaces which builds up as you re-apply, protecting them from the air.
When it comes into contact with salt it reduces its catalytic effect on the corrosion process.

FS 365 is a blend of mineral oil, surfactant, anti-corrosion additives and water, which forms a stable micro solution. This forms an effective layer of protection against corrosion, clinging to all surfaces and building up over time with each application. FS 365 is water soluble and readily biodegradable which further helps when it comes to cleaning as any dirt which sticks to the FS layer is easily washed away.

So, in essence, FS 365 works as a barrier protector as well as disrupting the chemical processes involved in corrosion.  With continued re-application, FS 365 makes cleaning the bike easier and builds up layers of protection.

I use bikes all year round and have tried just about every type of rust preventer over the years. My experience is that nothing is a true solution but ACF50 and FS365 do work as long as you keep right on top of it. A good coating coupled with a weekly wash and re-coat works as long as there is no salt all over the road.

As soon as the gritting season starts then its different league, the bikes need to be rinsed off after every ride to get the salt off and then reapply the coating. By Doing that then it really works, The thing is that keeping a bike coated is much easier than a car as you can see just about every part of the bike. 

It’s certainly worth doing but in the depths of winter I wouldn’t trust this stuff on its own. Although in reality I doubt I’ll be in the car much either!

Where it probably will work really well is if the car is stored in a garage that is not temperature controlled, much like mine. In that situation there is much less likelihood of contact with salt and this type coating does prevent rust from simple storage. I have used it on bikes stored without any activity for a year or so (I have got to many and they tend to get used in rotation) and it does help stop general deterioration.