Click here if you are having website access problems ×

E5 SP98 in France (beware harder to find otbt)

anthonym

https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/high-tech/quel-carburant-choisir-sous-nouvel-etiquetage-e5-e10-b7-b10_128404

this is the only site after hours of searching that actually tells me what I need to know.

I think. Looks like E5 98Ron replaces SP98, but don’t quote me. Still not available and the old stations with it have either closed entirely or only offer 95.

SP98 in France remote regions is beginning to determine choices of route and places to stay.

my car being registered in 2000 does not help. Not to mention being kit purchased in 1999.

location of SP98 seems up to date based on research (going there):

https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

anthony

I think the UK is doing the same. But isn't this mostly a labelling change? It was suggested elsewhere that SP98 used to be E5 anyway, so this is just a clarification. It's E!0 that we want to avoid. /Went through france the last couple of days and don't think I saw anything that wasn't labelled E5 or E10 (SP95 or 98).

If you use it just on the road, why not just sacrifice a couple of bhp and map it for something that's widely available? I doubt you'll really notice much difference but having a touring car which has touring routes limited by local fuel availability hardly seems ideal.

I might, but I can’t right now. 

... where’s your resear h evidence for only a couple of bhp ? I need every horse....

I like horses... and I already sacrificed several for the useless Swiss noise test so now I get deafened by the superbikes I pass who can’t hear me coming so fall off in surprise...

Interesting link, Anthony. Thanks for posting it.

Looks like E5 98Ron replaces SP98, but don’t quote me.

Quoting the article: "...celui qui tient à rouler au SP98 doit choisir le pistolet E5 98 RON" ,  I reckon you're correct.

Does your R500K have a knock sensor?  If not, I think the advice (posts #3 and #6) to re-map to 95 is likely to prove the most practical route.

JV

Well, I do have a map for SP98 , it’s here:

https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

and I have been route checking my next few days with it, see red icons,

CC9EECF1-3FF9-4C93-84C4-6F7B2A49411E.thumb.png.48928ac5a5743c2df02cdd6cfe3ab91e.png

I haven’t checked thedistances yet but I know from past travels they are all ok, plenty of miles in hand. Also except one they are all in at least pairs so if one has ceased the others s/be ok. I have been testing the accuracy (up to date ness) over in Vercors and they have all been good so far. 

The difference to past years is simply that there are no longer several choices of where to fill up, so fillups now feature in my route planning/intentions rather than being left to chance, which was always “dangerous” in an R500. So “never let a petrol station go by” continues to be the R500 adage. 

Sure I could remap it, but the point of an R500 K is it is to the max, even with a foreign exhaust. 

Also aiui it’s about knocking and high compression which is why it is 98 in the first place, not because it’sbetter fuel and has all sorts of nice properties, but be ause the builders decided the engine needs the higher octane. Maybe someone can explain further. Do I use max revs? Sometimes.

The R500 Duratec can’t get away from me and I like it like that :-)

very different engine behaviours in that little test. K screaming it’s head off and D not. Fun  tho. :-)  .. no funny exhaust at the time.

anthony

I doubt you would loose much remapping for 95 octane. If your ECU allows you could run with a knock sensor this would allow you to run more advance with a safety net. I dare bet the engine map for 98 octane is quite a conservative one. Leman cars are set up to run with a small amount of detonation as this produces more power. These cars have very sophisticated engine management and are running right on the edge.