Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Type 9 -Can only get 5th

nickh7

Lost all gears but 5th. 

Blat going well 3 miles from home , 3rd difficult to select then all went back to normal. 1mile from home pulled up to the junction no gears at all. Managed to get 5th got it rolling jumped in it and managed to get going got home  just. Looked underneath oil around the gearbox dripping all along from Bellhousing back.  Any thoughts?

Third gear synchro ring on the type nine is a known breakage point. I had a couple break on track and eventually changed to a dog box (no synchro rings).It could well be that I'm afraid... Doesn't normally cause an oil leak though

This sounds very much like the classic failure of the hollow roll pin that secures the striker block to the selector shaft. This will 'disconnect' both 1/2 and 3/4 selector forks, with no effect on 5th.

It wouldn't cause an oil leal though, so that may just be unrelated. Might it have been leaking a while without being noticed ar was there far too much for that?

S003.png.acf01e4751bc33c69227e106429b3d39.png

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/wisdom-welcomed-no-drive-wheels

Cheers

Hello Nick, that sound not good, if oil is dripping from the box that means the box has to come out, i hate to say it but if oil is dripping out it usually means a crack in the casing i have a box gathering dust but it doens't have the long 1st but it's FOC 

Elie you’re a star , I think it’s time for a total rebuild of the 7. It’s 22yrs old and quiet tired . There is a lot of corrosion on both side skins , the chassis is in need of painting again as the powder coating went along time ago , the diff is noisy . It needs new bushes and the rear wings need painting . I don’t mind the striping it’s the thought of putting it back together that worries me.

Nick,

Total rebuild..... go for it, it was a great experience and a tremendous amount of satisfaction in seeing the finished product. Bearing in mind I purchased mine 2nd hand with absolutely zero knowledge of cars I lesrned an awful lot about it when putting it back together albeit with help from club members.

However, think of a budget and then double it as costs do mount up as you decide to replace many bits.

My effort here