Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear brake adjustments

jackb_ms

Do both handbrake levers on the caliper return to the stop when handbrake released ? Remove pads and screw piston clockwise into caliper using windback tool. Refit pads and caliper top. Press hard on the brake pedal a few times to allow self adjusters to operate. Don't touch handbrake lever until after this has been done. If necessary, adjust handbrake cable using the plastic nuts. You have to screw them apart first ... one acts as a locknut against the other.

Thanks all

I have ordered the more expensive version as i will be able to use it on my other vehicle (and it comes in a nice plastic box *thumb_up* ).

I've ordered some brake cleaning fluid as well, hopefully I will be able to sort it.

Jack

Whatever you do ...only turn the pistons clockwise and push while turning. Do NOT turn anticlockwise ! Before refitting the pads, the slots in the piston must be at 0-90-180 and 270 degrees .... so they line up with the pips on the rear pad back plate. This is important. Edit ... it could be the reason for the current handbrake problem if incorrectly fitted ?

• Area Representative

This is a common problem with Caterham rear brakes even new builds.

My 'shortcut' was to wind the handbrake right off so that the subject caliper hand brake actuating lever is completely free then with the end of a hammer shaft repeatedly pushed the lever about five or six times as far as it would go then releasing fully.

This action equalised the hand brake actuation & has stayed this way now for some four years.

But as with all mechanical things this is no guarantee that it will work in all cases........