Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Loctite - let's be more specific please

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

I think it is always worth pointing out that references to "Loctite" are almost always to a thread locking compound not to cyanoacrylate adhesive. (with which Loctite came into public consciousness as "Super Glue")

However, the range of thread locking in their range isn't simple. https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/en/products/industrial-adhesives/threadlockers.html

From my own experience, they do not all work in all situations. I have a tube of 243 compound. I used it to secure the fixing screw fir the blade of my secateurs and this quickly worked loose. It felt very secure for a few weeks but then certainly worked loose. Which compound should I have used?  I can see the streses within secateurs are different to those elsewhere.

For many general fastener applications on our cars you want medium strength, so you can undo it in the future. Beware of high strength or permanent compounds that require the application of heat to soften it before you can undo it.

• Area Representative
Thank you both.

A great part of my post is about simple, vague references made here (classic examples are "Loctite" and "Sikaflex" the latter frequently misspelled) when specific items within a range should be mentioned.

Hmm - depends on your view point I guess.  My entire life from being old enough to hear and do, somewhere around age 5 or 6 in the mid-70's, "loctite" meant thread lock - blue stuff.  My dad being an engineer, self-employed, workshop in the garden.

Super glue didn't cross my path until teenage years - and then it was just "super-glue". - maybe "zip glue" from exposure to American glues used in radio control modelling.

I've been an engineer for over 20 yrs - and there is a vast range of thread locking compounds from all sorts of people.  Some cope with oils, some don't, some cope with chemicals, some don't.  Some work best on steel, some on aluminium, some in plastic.  Some will wreck the plastic.  Most require the absence of oil to cure - and the fastener doing up tight in the first place.  You can use activators to speed up the cure.  

Use your chosen companies seletction charts - for important applications - ask them for their recommendation.

Secateurs though - mine have a lock nut . . .

• Area Representative

Bri, I'm not that worried about my secateurs, it was an illustration that "Loctite" isn't specific enough. 

I can feel when the blade is a bit loose. It isn't going to fall off because the fulcrum is an adjustable lock nut (but I might loose the secondary bolt) but keeping everything in its right place is important and if I could secure things better, it would be an improvement.