Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 K Emissions. HC 1,000ppm Solved again - several years later.

anthonym

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about three days IF (BIG if) they do not get delayed at customs. so 3+3+4=10 days minimum, likely two weeks, mid July at least before mot etc that's why I am focussed on it with every suggestion. Of course maybe I should have had this test done three months ago.

But, we're getting sidetracked, because:

• That plug looks more oiled that fuel-fouled.
  • As has been pointed out by CageyH, your lambda sensor is currently only monitoring No 4 and that plug came from No 3 - if it was a faulty injector the lambda sensor wouldn't see it, so it's not the cause of why the lambda is showing it running so rich.

Before biting any more red herrings, lean off the fuelling at idle until the engine starts to stumble, if the lambda strip doesn’t go Into the red (left) then it isnt reading right either because it has died or it is misconfigured.

There are some crib sheets on Emeralds web site that cover lambda configuration an how to meet the emission regs (MOT), download them and have a read.

Oily

So the lambda sensor is properly configured. Set the fuelling so that you get the right hand side flashing about 50% of the time. This will get you near stoi. Then closed loop should do the rest. Incidentally the engine is drawing a little too much air which is why you need negative dance to bring the idle own, you need to drop the airflow a little.

Oily

right done that. About -6 . I have left it there, is this therefore already saved in to the ECU?

Video showing leaning off and the effects at -5 -6 and -7 not really sure which one to choose.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/if1jr3a9a2wwie2/IMG_0586.m4v?dl=0    enters closed loop at about 16 seconds in

is there such a thing as too lean for an mot?   can't see mot crib sheet, can see (and have read) lamda crib sheet.

is there such a thing as too lean for an mot? 

If they measure NOx as well as HC for the MOT, then when too lean NOx increases rapidly, if not should be OK.

i would also look to see that your plugs are evenly coloured with consistent deposits after a bit of a run, as with only measuring Lambda on cylinder 4, the other cylinders may still be out.

if all plugs are consistent and it passes the MOT emissions, then I think it is job done. If the plugs stay significantly different, I think there is still a problem to be solved such as injector consistency. Be careful that it doesn’t run too lean on 1,2 or 3 while 4 is running correctly (by having very light plug deposits, especially with a shiny look and/or microscopic black flecks on the light background deposits).

@Anthony, just in terms of plug consistency, I just had a check on my R400D plugs this afternoon after I had an autocross event this past weekend. This is the level of consistency I like to see across all cylinders, a slight greyish brown earth strap with light tan deposits on the insulator, these plugs have about 1,000km on them:

image1_7.thumb.jpeg.d87c25d9e9d7a30068ee0d1133267b6f.jpeg

@james mine are nothing like that see #119

@oily meaning I haven't saved the alterations, so presumably they are lost since I have disconnected? This aspect is very confusing about what is or is not saved and where and if not then how

Anyway, should I use -5 -6 or -7 (video)? This is the end of the process ? 

above video link https://www.dropbox.com/s/if1jr3a9a2wwie2/IMG_0586.m4v?dl=0

@Anthony, before I removed about 20% excess fueling on my engine, all four of my plugs looked more like the left-hand plug of yours in #119, but they have always been consistent, hence my thought that once you have control of the mixture with good closed loop operation, that aiming to get all 4 cylinders to a similar combustion state is also important.