Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Filter

Haddock

Hi just fitted my oil filter for my wet sump 360 r

I have  hand tightened it as usual with the seal lubricated. 

However although it it as tight as it can be by hand  it is not tight to the top Am I missing something? 

Eg should I use a tool to tighten it ?

With the seal lubricated most oil filters torque to a spec of 11-ish Nm which is most likely what you will comfortably achieve by hand tightening.  They always need quite a bit more force to undo come service time.

When you say tight to the top ..... you are not looking for metal to metal contact. The rubber seal is pretty incompressible. Just tighten by hand. I recheck after warming oil through and cooling.

Hi all

Thanks very much for all input 

It’s the PH2874 filter.  Same manufacturer as original fitment  

First time change so replacement 

It goes on easily ( which suggests not cross threaded ) and tighten’s normally. 

When it is hand tight I can see the seal isn’t at the top  

Like many of us I’ve changed oil before so am puzzled. 

I have always marked the end of the filter, and noted where the mark is as the filter seal touches the sealing plate. I then tighten the filter 3/4 further. This is pretty tight by hand if you have decent access.

On my Seven, getting access to turn it by hand is a pain, so I have bought one of those tools that grips the top of the filter and allows me to use a 3/8 ratchet to turn it 3/4 of a turn.

Duncan

A quick update; armed with the helpful advice / experiences here I had another go and it looks tight now. 

Interesting experience for me and just proves that even a simple job that I’ve done loads of times can be puzzling and sharing helps 

Cheers all