Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trouble replacing ECU hose on 2009 1.6 Sigma

Lambretta

Hi Dear 7 experts

I really need to rejoin this community this year with a working car!

I have an ECU hose that was perished at both ends. I disturbed it during some work and realised that it wasn’t properly connected. I have bought a length of identical Italian hose from Caterham but just can’t get access to give it the high force it needs to connect at the engine end. Rather than use clips Caterham have elected to use a hose that needs to be seriously stretched to attach. Hence why it splits. 

Can anyone please suggest an easy way (or any way) of attaching this hose?

Many thanks in advance.

Roger

You are talking about the vac hose for the map sensor? Its usually available in various sizes so get something bigger if you can't fit it. Make sure it's vac hose so it won't collapse though and it needs to be a tight fit so what they have supplied is probably correct for one end and needs a bit of help the other

That’s probably it. The fact that it splits both ends is worrying. Unless I get s miracle I will have a word with CC on Monday. I tried fitting over an average size Phillips screwdriver and even that is a major operation even having it on the bench. 

Tried lubricating but that didn’t work. Removing the fuel/air inlet only slightly improved access. I can just about get it started but even with long nose pliers I can’t push it any further. Why couldn’t they just use a hose and clip arrangement? Perplexed and p***** o**. 

Yep went to Halfords, bought something that had an identical looking cross section but sold as fuel pipe, and a clip for each end. It’s somewhat fatter outside so I have routed it more directly tie wrapping it against one of the manifold inlets  

Thanks all. 

Previously around 5mm. Now 6mm. 

Thanks for the advice. This is currently working fine even if I need to get something more suitable, although the new pipe is seriously strong. External diameter is about 50% greater so the walls are really thick. I could be wrong but the difference between these and the vac hoses in the store was that the fuel ones seemed heavier duty. I read somewhere that you can use fuel pipe for other use but not vice versa but happy to accept that as wrong advice. 

• Area Representative

Hi
I had the same problem with the Italian rubber hose.  I replaced it with 5mm ID - Silicone Vacuum Hose, which I purchased from AutoSiliconeHoses.com.  It was easy to fit and should last forever.
Hope that helps.
Ivan