Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Advisory n/s handbrake low efficiency

StevehS3

It’s coming up to MOT time and I remembered the above advisory last year. I perhaps would expect the n/s to be slightly weaker due to the extra cable feeding off the o/s brake. I don’t know how much weaker it was but I am wondering if I should do something about this such as replace the cable. The handbrake seems to take effect at about the same time on each wheel but that’s really all I can test at home. Any thoughts please?

378FBCCB-31C7-41AC-9860-A301EBEA0CA1.thumb.jpeg.bf58e8d208a1253d2cace69384e61977.jpeg

Check pad wear on inner and outer pads ... inner pad can wear faster than outer. Wind piston back in clockwise (same both sides of car) .... refit pads ... press hard on brake pedal a few times to operate self adjuster, then adjust handbrake cable... under car by diff. Don't apply handbrake until you have done the above or you'll mess up the adjustment.

For your MOT would setting the he cable to give a "tight" 3rd click be a precaution for the roller readings.  You can always back off afterwards.

I find that the number and position of the cable to chassis retainers does influence the N / S efficiency, as some handbrake application is sacrificed due to distortion of the outer cable under tension.