Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Early / Later Engine Mounts & Changeover Date

revilla

I believe that the earlier engine mounting rubbers were not fail-safe and could damage the side skins if the rubber failed, and were fitted with external safety restraints, whereas later engine mounts incorporated some sort of interlock in the internal metal bits that meant that they wouldn't actually come apart.

Is this correct? And if so ... can anyone tell me roughly when the change was made please?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Leadership Team

Andrew, the originals were only fitted with the restraint caps on race cars, although the restraints could be added to the standard mounts if wished. Realistically though if the design was changed 15 years ago and you still have the older ones it would be prudent to renew them anyway.

Stu.

I have this info recorded ....

Revised Caterham Mount

Revised engine mounting rubbers featuring an internal restraint system (

part number BM382FS) were made available by Caterham Cars during the course of the 2000 season,

The original mount was designed as an engine mount for the Jaguar MK2 (C18556) if you Google the number you will see the parts. They are made in China now.

If you probe the rubber with a sharp pin you may be able to identify them

Rubberenginemountsection.thumb.JPG.83d3cfb3d1b59a9a5b2450f85fcadbef.JPG

• Area Representative

I recently had a problem with a mount in a 1999 car, where the threaded boss sheared off.

I hadn't chucked it out to remind me to replenish my spare that I'd used to replace it with, so, I've just cut it up!

So, this one simply has rubber bonded to a flat plate, and the boss has a vee shaped groove around it.

IMG_1610.JPG.d70b8d0c5241fb06b3c9b310feae7acc.JPG