Click here if you are having website access problems ×

620S battery charging

c7ollie

I am just running in my new 620S and of course the manual doesn’t cover the battery located in the passenger footwell. I assume it’s lithium. Any advice on how to keep it charged and with what kind of charger. A had an R300 for 12 years and had battery charging down to a fine art but assume this is a bit different?

Had a quick look a the Aldi charger, photo shows a model number MD18559, which reading the documentation does not have any mention of Lithium batteries or even AGM batteries (which it's connected to in the photo).

I am note sure how stable the Odessy PC6800 is that's fitted to the 620S, but I am very cautious with lithium batteries after my RC model experiences with lithium polymer batteries.     If you charge then incorrectly, abuse them via pressure, rupture or even deep discharge, the resulting fire is really difficult to put out.  I have read stories of RC model destroying garages, and causing house fires when batteries are charged incorrectly, and there are plenty of YouTube footage to back this up.   These problems aren't limited to RC models, its just they have been using them for a long time now, Samsung phones and Richard Hamonds Rimac crash springs to mind.   So I wouldn't use a charger that isn't Lithium compatible on a Lithium battery, after all Odessy publish loads of information about how to charge and that rates are safe.   

It's your call obviously. 

I fitted a CTEK MX5S to mine this week.  Seems to work nicely.  My battery shot back up to 100% from about 85% in no time at all.  Fitting the adapter was a bit of a fiddle due to limited space and the proximity of the cross section of the chassis to the battery terminals, but I managed to get it sorted OK.  The plug is on a flying lead tucked in down between the battery cover and the transmission tunnel in the footwell so connecting/disconnecting the charger is a doddle.

Whist I was in there with the battery cover off I also fitted on the CTEK Alarm Sense sender units so I can check the level from my phone via Bluetooth.  Works beautifully!  Overkill, but it makes me smile!

PS - above is correct.  Its not Lithium.