Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wich option to fix foam strip

paisesmediterraneos

Hello, I am David from Spain, I am going to change the foam strip where the bonnet rest, I was looking at caterhamspares.com and found that the front foam is 25mm wide and the rear foam is 12mm wide.

My question is...once the foam is fixed at the car and the bonnet rest in the correct place, the foam must be at the limit of the bonnet or just behind the aluminium fold??.

When I look at pictures of Caterhams without the bonnet, the foams has no signals/marks with the form of the aluminium fold, so I think it must be behind the aluminum fold, but the old foam of my car has signals/marks with the form of the aluminium fold (maybe the last owner changed the foam and didn't fix it in the right place, or maybe it must be at the limit of the bonnet).

I have no possibilities of checking the right position in other Caterhams  as I am the only one with a Caterham in my city, can any of you help me??.

Thank you very much.

20190109_222851.thumb.jpg.b43e61100c8796c889b803c2d671c22e.jpg 20190109_222859.thumb.jpg.41185fe4580e4376b85f5b8e733ee235.jpg

David on most Caterhams you see will that the foam goes on the car and not the bonnet itself. You fit the foam on the nose cone and the windscreen scuttle.

On my car, when the bonnet is fitted it does not make touch contact with the car nose cone or windscreen scuttle. I fitted the foam so that the painted fold on the inside of the bonnet does not press down on the foam when the bonnet is fitted. This stops the paint on the fold of the bonnet getting rubbed away by the foam. The main purpose of the foam is to stop water, road dirt, etc. collecting inside the engine bay when you are driving. Therefor the foam should sit close to the bonnet fold. Check your car with the bonnet fitted to see if it is in contact with the nose cone or scuttle at any point.

David, 

When fitting the tape to the bonnet ( which is also my preference) it should be fitted as in your first photograph. This is a picture of my bonnet, the tape was fitted by the guy who used to paint all the Caterham production cars, so he has done a few.

20190110_061312_0.thumb.jpg.d2d61236608f72eb3a8e045acb209091.jpg

Alan

Both my Sevens came as kits so I don't know whether the factory attaches foam strips there, but I suspect it doesn't.  There's no mention in the Assembly Guides.

I attached that foam strip to minimize paint damage through rubbing.

Re the scuttle and nosecone, the latest AG says: "Stick the supplied foam around the edge of the nose and scuttle where the bonnet will sit..."

JV

Jim, I have had 7s for around 30 years, except for the first one, all subsequent 7s have had the foam fitted as per my picture, none have suffered any deterioration due to heat, and my big VX, pushes a lot out. putting it on the scuttle, and nose cone, is unsightly, and in my experience more prone to damage.