Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pros and cons of a roll cage (R400 Metric cage to fit 2014 Supersport 210)

Chris300

Hi, 

As I'm looking to track the Seven this year, and have a standard roll bar, I'm looking a for a view on pros and cons of changing to a cage as opposed to Track Day bar. I've seen the guide on here and a few articles, so leaning towards a cage. Especially as I want to stay aero from now on, so already drive on the road with a helmet (essential if in an accident surrounded by steel pipe that makes the cage).

Cage recommended by CC for my 2014 Supersport: 

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/rollcages/3689-rollcage-assy-lhd-a-rhd-r400-race.html 

There are only two listed on the site for S3 and two for SV. Guessing one is Metric, one Imperial and all same style? 

Cage pros and cons listed below as i see it, and this is for my needs (happy to be rained on without full screen and weather gear, this may change) and please feel free to comment and call out any naivety:

Pros

• Cage with helmet and enough head clearance has to be safer overall 
  • Not only roll over protection, but some side impact as well. At the moment first point of contact would be my elbow, followed by rib cage and the rest.
  • Understand Track Roll bar is only really doing the full job with 'petty strut' which means no passenger unless removed. Then how good is the roll bar... (not looking to restart the Track Bar necessity debate for track days)
  • Looks cool as
  • More places to put mirrors and guess there is better visibility, with less vibration than mirror on the aero
  • Boot cover will not need adapting according to CC
  • Should have all bushes in place behind panels, again according to CC

Cons

• Getting in and out, takes some agility. At this moment of time, I'm agile enough to hop in from the top, but may hinder some passengers (including my Mum, when I collect her to go for Sunday lunch).
  • Price, though guess if I changed back it would have reasonable resale value.
  • Weight... must be a few people who have weighed a track day roll bar and a cage, can anyone please tell me the respective weights? Asked Caterham Parts a couple of weeks ago and yet to get a response. As an aside, the parts website has very little info on the parts on sale. Is this deliberate? Doesn't support people trying to follow the "to add speed, add lightness" mantra.
  •  Have to wear a helmet, but that's ok for me at the mo.
  • Any tonneau or half door implications to be aware of? ...still to source these.
  • Cosmetic isues when reverting to roll bar (Thanks Ian)

That was a longer post than expected, but some validation on my newbie thought process would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, Chris

You dont say which type of cage? Roadsport fits within confines of screen and doors. SLR fits outside and typically needs extra bushes welding into the chassis.

I use a safety devices tall roadsport cage and have a lowered floor and use without a lid, but always have belts v tight! Also have screen and doors.

there is the cosmetics of a removed cage - extra holes and/or deformed ally where the front ‘feet’ have clamped. Albeit all covered by the doors.

Ian

• Area Representative

Chris,

Which cage are you thinking of?

If you're committed to running without a full screen, doors and weather gear, then I'd recommend the Superlight rather than Roadsport cage.

I find all of the Roadsport cages difficult to get in and out of, and claustrophobic once I'm in. Helmet to cage clearance is always an issue in my mind, particularly on the passenger side. Climbing in through the side is also difficult as the forward legs occlud the door opening.

I'm not tall, but, in a roadsport cage, with standard floors, I can not sit comfortably in the passenger seat without my helmet banging on the diagonal of the cage (if I've managed to climb in in the first place!)

Hi Ian,

this is the one CC recommended (R400 Race Metric):

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/rollcages/3689-rollcage-assy-lhd-a-rhd-r400-race.html 

As mentioned in the post the CC parts website is sparse on information. When asked, they seem to think the 2014 Supersport will have bushes in place behind panels. I do have lowered floors as well. 

Yes cosmetics will be an issue on removal, good point. 

Cheers

Hi Richard,

As above Ian picked up on same question (will edit post). 

Looks like just the two offering on CC for S3 the same design, but metric and imperial versions, [edit] I think these are both the Super Light Roll (SLR) Cage? The SV versions don't have images but one is a roadsport,  

Thanks, Chris

Chris,

In old money thats the SLR / Superlight cage. On the imperial chassis it typically needed 3 or 4 extra bushes each side, not fitted as standard.

May have changed with the metric chassis - try and get some pictures of a naked chassis. Or there may be an owner who can confirm either way.

Ian

I removed the Academy cage from my 2010 metric car because I didn't want to wear a helmet all the time (even on the trip back after buying the car someone called me a w****** for wearing a helmet, so I assume people are friendlier whereever you live!), and I really didn't fancy driving without one. That had no problem with the sidescreens and it wasn't that hard to get in and out of. I'm 5' 9" and the car has lowered floors.

The only holes that were left are the ones at the bottom of the cowl - I put bolts with black plastic covers in the holes and you hardly notice them under the sidescreens.

I've still got it complete with the rear view mirror if you want to make me an offer - it's in my garage in South London. I kept it in case I wanted to put it back on the car, but I can't see that happening, not least because the standard roll bar was a poor fit and very difficult to put on.