Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Propshaft

Duckpit

I have had the A frame bracket detach from the rear axle under very hard braking at a hairpin on my 94 Supersprint. 

This resulted in the axle nose dropping down and thrashing the end of the propshaft on the ground distorting the UJ holes in yoke and journal.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a new yoke and journal ?

Thanks

Bailey Morris make / repair propshafts.

Sounds like a lucky escape. Could have been much worse ! Presumably on a Ital live axle? I'd be interested in more details of how the A frame became detached. Was it the bush mounting ears welded on the bottom of the housing that failed, or the bolt?

Didn't think drum brakes would generate that much force especially in such a light car as a 7.

Mine LA car has had a disc conversion, so the rear brakes work much more than the standard set up. Reason for concern.

Clive.

Duckpit - Must have been hot sticky tyres, plus breaking right on the limit. Going to check the welds on my car asap.

I guess during breaking the whole of rear wheel rotational torque gets transferred via the axle casing, to those two small welds on the ears, holding them to the base of the axle. Surprising it doesn't happen more often.

Wouldn't the rotation have also damage the raduis arms?

Clive.

I had exactly the same failure on my 1982 Caterham, however my was whilst braking when reversing out of a parking place at work, the entire lower "A" frame locating bracket under the diff detached from the axle casing.

I contacted Caterham, when I eventually got the car home, thanks AA, and they said to return the axle to them in Dartford, where they would repair it "on the spot" and I could take it away el pronto.

This little episode would have been after 1987, as I can recall lugging the axle in and out of the XR2, (remember those)

Not a good look if this lets go at any significant speed, seems to be a recurring problem, did the apprentice do the bracket welding?

Nigel.