Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ratrace Motorsport R500K engine mapping results

CycleSi

Following a very frustrating, upsetting and expensive engine build a few years ago by a relatively well known company in Caterham circles I finally decided to get Rob @ Ratrace Motorsport to build me one good engine out of the 1.8 original R300 engine I had and the 1.9 disastrous engine.

He took over 100 hours to build me an absolute work of art and I took the car yesterday to Luke Stevens Developments/Team Leos Racing near Newmarket where Steve Greenauld and Luke spent 5 hours mapping the engine. The result was an outstanding 237 bhp and 163 lb ft torque. The engine sounds and feels amazing. So my car has now morphed from an R300 to an R500.

My thanks go to Rob for building such an incredible engine and to Luke & Steve for a fantastic day. They explained everything carefully, let me help them and supplied copious quantities of hot tea.

On the 100 mile drive home it felt like a ballistic missile. If anybody wants to know specific details about the build and/or choice of cams, etc. then PM me. 

I had my first experience of a mapping session in Friday. I came out with 219bhp and 171lb ft from my 1.8k, which was about 5 up in both. Done at Motorscope Northallerton by Richard who was seemingly excellent and I learned an awful lot. The limiting factor now appears to be the fuel pump which wasn't delivering enough to the injectors to go any further so set as it was until (if) I do something about it. The noticeable difference though in driving there to driving home was massive, with the car being utterly smooth as silk on my return, though as it was cold and greasy, didn't do much exploring in upper rev ranges. Highly recommended. Per Les's comment, long live the K!

Paul - that's a great result and a very impressive torque figure. Rob recommended that I also replaced the fuel pump with something more 'capable' to support the higher BHP. If you would like to know what I used then I'll dig out the paperwork tonight. I went for the one Rob uses in all his engine builds.

Nick - although it revved to around 8400 very happily, we decided to have the soft cut at 8000 rpm and the hard cut at 8200 for future reliability and longevity. Partly because I'm only using a standard crank and partly because it is so damn mental above 6500 anyway.

• Area Representative

Sounds very sensible Si - my SL-R is still pulling hard at 8k, but I don't rev it beyond that (I am mindful that the rev counter over-reads by probably 2-300RPM which is no bad thing).

Would love to put an all steel bottom end in it to allow it to rev much higher though! *evil*

That would be great Si. Mine ended up with a peak at 7.4 on account of fuelling and believe my cams (1444 should be good to 8). That said, I believe I too am standard crank so not too worried and dropped the rev limiter from 8.2 to 7.6 as part of the remap. Would be interested in the options even if I choose to stay as is.

Until recently had an airbox so guess that would control airflow some, but now set so as not to run lean with sausage filter and the chap in the emerald PC was happy that at the set up and not trying too hard to eek out more power, would be fuelled properly. I'll probably change the pump as the ones I've seen weren't massive money so good to have as covering all bases

Not tricky, but not just drop in either.

To be honest, I didn't actually fit mine as I have fantastic (and much appreciated) help from my good friend who is on here as Red John. He had to do a bit of adapting but the chap at Glencoe was excellent and explained what needed to be done.