Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Big Heads

Brightonuk

Cheers Tazio​ 

I would like any feedback on using the Big Head to attach the cycle wings, the reason for possibly using them is I like the odd track day so I also purchased a $60 pair of wide  GRP ones from fleabay. the Hoosier slicks I run on the track are wider than the street tires and they stick out from the CF wings so any debris kicked up has the potential for taking out a tooth.

I figure by using the Big Heads I can swap out the front wings on track days.

If anyone has use this method for attaching the front wing what are the  pros and cons.

Thanks 

Steve

I use this method. Big heads on carbon fibre. Recently they have been off and on a few times, easy and reliable. Snip snip to remove. I use two small cable ties per, rather than a bigger single one. Just feels better. 

Crucial part is the surface being extremely clean and dry and to use the right adhesive, whose name escapes me. Black stuff in a tube, someone will be along momentarily.

Anthony

If you order BigHeads they come in 2 sizes.  Make sure you source the items with a 15mm gap between the loops as opposed to the smaller product.

I'm with Anthony in advocating Sikaflex to bond the tywraps to the wings, but quite specifically Sikaflex 292i.

• Area Representative
The headline brand by itself isn't especially helpful. As so often the EXACT product detail IS. So thank those who specified precise products. (And yes, there are other manufacturers of great silicone adhesives)

I frequently feel we casually mention brands without specifying the product. This is one example, "Loctite" is another, where a manufacturer has a considerable range of products but none is mentioned; it is supposed to be implicit but Loctite list ten different threadlocking products alone, before one considers their ranges of glues.

I quite agree, not least as a guilty party above for not specifying the exact detail. Given It was because I could not remember it... come to think of it I couldn’t remember the product either, Tazio had to rescue me just even to get that far and someone else (sorry, can’t see in edit mode) with the detail. 

Yes it drives me nuts trying to figure out which Loctite is meant in any given circumstance. In fact I never use it as a result of this, much as I might like to. 

Pics of the actual product would be ideal.. for me. I have no Sikaflex abcxx, I think it belonged to Norman, when he was replacing my clutch release arm, bless him, after the Minister débâcle. 

I resolve to do better.

Anthony

• Area Representative

*yes*  

Anthony, it is something most of us do and, particularly within a small group of peers, natural and understandable.  Imagine a few people working on a project, someones says "pass the Loctite" and the right product is passed over because there is only one Loctite to hand.

<P>Dinitrol and rust-treatment paints similarly (a confusing array).

• 2 months later...