Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Tillets imperial S3

Angrybee

Hello all,

I have a '98 S3 car, that came with leather s type seats both adjustable. I bought some Tillets that came with one fixed runner and one adjustable runner. When trying to fit the Tillets, I reales that the holes do not line up between the runners and the car floor. The runner holes are a smaller distance apart than in the car floor, by about an inch. Additionally, the adjustable runner is not long enough to be modified to fit the existing holes. Do I change the runners somehow or do I drill new holes in the floor of the car, and if so, where do the new holes go?

• Leadership Team

You’ll need to drill new holes ... best to start with the fixed runner seat, it’s lighter and less hassle!

The way I did mine ....

Put a few layers of masking tape on the floor, put cap head bolts into the runner holes (the heads are small diameter than hexheads) then carefully position the seat exactly where you want it ... and press down hard. The capheads will leave marks in the masking tape where you need to drill.

Adjustable runner seat is the same, but it’s heavier, has an adjuster thingy sticking out, and you need to carefully line up both runners before you start. You’ll have had practice in the other seat, you’ll need it! Likely you’ll need to drill the holes a little oversize to get everything lined up properly.

Stu.

I used a sheet of corrugated cardboard, cut from the side of a box probably.  Having made a paper template, I laid the cardboard into the floor, making sure it could not move and once positioned, applied some weight to the seat with the runners attached.  The rivnuts I'd fitted to the adjustable runners and/or the ali box section left a very clear imprint in the cardboard.

I used a center punch and then drilled through the cardboard and the floor.  I bolted my Tillett seats in from below.

If you need to cover the old holes, you can buy some cut-to-order/size aluminium sheet and rivet in place with some suitable sealant, above or below the floor skin.