Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Fuel Pump/Sender

johnpbransfield

Just a heads up to Sigma / Duratec owners. After loosing power on certain areas of Anglesey at the weekend and the fuel guage reading Full....I started to investigate...I thought it was a faulty earth but turned out to be the fuel pump/sender had split into two halves! The bottom half with the float rolling about at the bottom of the tank connected by two wires to the cap at the top....hence registering full but no fuel sloshing into the pump. The annoying thing is this is apparently a common thing!!!. How it comes apart God only knows as it is compressed on a big spring into the bottom of the tank / screw top on the top of the tank. Have managed to get it back together so I shall refit and see how it goes (£400+ new at CC...cheaper at Ford) My car is a 2009 and the pump has 2007 date on it. The fault they think is caused by the plastic clips reacting with the petrol over time. So younger cars should be OK!

Thanks John

I hope you managed to get home in a reasonable time through the the jams on the A55. My TomTom sent me round an interesting route that missed them and I did get to Chester in time to play with the Grandkids for an hour or two before they went to bed.

I guess that there are many Sigma owners who will be interested in this problem. I use Shell almost exclusively in my 2007 Caterham and I will have to keep my fingers crossed that there are no problems.

Assume it is the ethanol added to all 95 RON petrol that causes the problems. I use 98 normally as it doesn't have this. Just seen in Europe fuel is being relabelled ... with 95 having 10% ethanol and 98 now having 5% ethanol. This is not good.