Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis/spaceframe and inside the engine bay repainting

Golf Juliet Tango

Very nice, Thank you.

The body man annealing and forming the arch skin makes the process look more difficult than the in the video I have made by Caterham showing an Arch chassis being fitted.  But then the video clips were shorter.

Now what is this? hand building in a jig again?  I thought the metrics were made at Caged since 2009?  Has this changed?

Heh, what hasn't changed?

Ok. In the video previously referenced, which I had to pay$$ for to see but worth it, there are factory workers hand assembling frames in a jig.  I believe they are at the "Caterham" factory.  So, based on the previous comment, Caged was acquired by Caterham (and why not).  Therefore, Caterham is producing hand build frames.

My question is, is there still robotic frame production?  Or was that idea scrapped?  I Don't have a need to know, It would be another Seven history fact.

I have a chassis that has the original weld on the right and the left side was replaced by a previous owner, (Steve R., are you out there?)

The left seam wasnt welded, but ready to weld. The radius profile between the two joints is different enough for me to suspect additional joint filling was applied, and perfectly blended.  masterful work by Arch.  I hope to duplicate it with the right materials and technique.

• Area Representative
  1. I thought the machine made parts of the chassis, say for example the rear basket, and then these assemblies were put in a jig and welded together.

TomB: No doubt you are right.  I haven't been to Westbury to see, so am only aware of a few details.