Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400D: Detaching fuel pump/sender connector

John Vine

And yet another question....

This is the connector:

R400_Fuelpump_20180905_connectorfemale.thumb.jpg.ddb626cdcf6c7df182fd3d74ff6143f7.jpg

I don't know what brand it is (it doesn't look like any Econoseal I ever seen).

I wanted to remove the yellow terminal guide to get at the terminals themselves.  I inserted a thin screwdriver into the slot:

R400_Fuelpump_20180905_connectorfemale_2_slotarrowed.jpg.db7773d6cf92a813c9855b78aca5055e.jpg

and prised gently upwards.  There was a click, and the guide moved out about halfway.  But there it stayed.  I was reluctant to force it in case I broke something.

So, how do I remove the yellow guide completely?

JV

Thanks, Dr S. 

This connector query is a spin-off from my Spiyda investigations.  By way of experiment, I was intending to detach the sender earth wire, and then run a new dedicated earth wire direct to the battery -ve. This should help explain one way or the other whether the voltage drop I was seeing on the sender earth (with the engine running) was causing the gauge reading to drop.

If I can't get the pin out, I suppose I could simply cut the earth wire and re-route?  I'd want to be able to re-instate the standard set-up if necessary.

JV

This may be what you mean, but I think even if you bought a new connector, re-connected all but the original earth wire, connect the new earth wire, assembled the 'tree' fully (i.e. all 6 wired pins into the plastic) and fit into housing, you'd then have to repeat all of that with a 3rd connector to put back as original. I don't think you can remove the the metal receptacle 'branches' out without breaking the plastic 'tree'.

I guess you could cut the earth wire, splice in a piggyback pre-insulated connector in the appropriate direction, and then connect/reconnect whichever earth wire you wanted to use at a particular moment.

I guess you could cut the earth wire, splice in a piggyback pre-insulated connector in the appropriate direction, and then connect/reconnect whichever earth wire you wanted to use at a particular moment.

Yes, but I wouldn't need to keep two earth options.  I'd either (a) adopt the new earth PLUS the Spiyda Wizard, or (b) reinstate the original earth and ignore the Spiyda altogether.  I'd like to keep the Spiyda as it also supports a "low-fuel" warning lamp, but only if the gauge resumes normal service.

JV