Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Touring Essentials & Tips

RupertJames

I've just purchased my first 7, and will be embarking on a 2 week roadtrip down the west coast of France with my lady (Calais -> La Baule -> Cap Ferret -> Montpelier). Will be heading along the south coast from there (Montpelier -> Nice/Villefrance/St Tropez), and then back up the Route Napolean to Grenoble, then on to Belgium.

We'll be staying with friends/air bnbs along the way.

As I'm new to all of this, I'd appreciate any advice concerning:

-Packing (Accessories, technique etc)

-Routes for my itinerary, or any stop offs you recommend

-Mechanical advice (I already have a spare clutch&throttle cable)

-GPS apps (I use Waze, but perhaps there is one better suited for twisty routes..)

Any other advice would be great!

Welcome

IMHO Touring Tips is the best accumulation of wisdom. It contains some useful lists, and some very different approaches.

On the navigation do you want:

1. The ability to work on a computer and load the routes into the car's device?
  2. Real-time data updates?

(You've already answered the other two key questions. :-)  )

Jonathan

www.myrouteapp.com to plan and if you want to use an App on a phone then use their "Navigation" app.

If you watch a few of their training video's online you may get a good discount code for the myrouteapp "Gold" membership, which is worth it, especially if you can get the "lifetime" option that is generally now discontinued.
There's loads of routes on there from bikers although it's not that easy to see where each one goes without clicking on it to open it.

Route Napoleon, Grenoble, Gap fantastic area with great roads. Be careful though there are starting to be average speed cameras like this one at Aspremont.

They also filmed the car chase scenes for Ronin on the roads above Gréolières above Niece.

Drive it like you stole it!

Andy