Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does anyone know if the immobilser can be bypassed?

paul jacobs

Mike Molloy,

I've worked on MEMS calibration in the past and I vaguely remember doing the pin-13 trick to bypass the immobiliser, although I think this was only on MEMS1.9 or MEMS2J. It's all a bit hazy in the memory, but when I was reading Julians comments, I thought 'yes! pin 13!', and then read it later by dmc (scary!), so there must be some way of doing it! I just can't remember how it's done now. Probably with an ECU that's had the 'force-no-code' flag set. (we were obviously using development ECUs and could switch this)

Hiu

This thread just shows how easy it is to lose sight of the real world away from the drawing board, and also how it is easy to misunderstand peoples motivations and concerns.

The Rover immobiliser system might well be the cleverest and most secure immobilisation system on Gods earth. It might, indeed, be designed by a team of white coated boffins with beards that would shame ZZ top and a combined IQ that would topple a cray supercomputer, but, amongst all this wonderous 1024bit technology and wizardry there is a small hiccup.

The buttons that activate it are made from playdoh and pack up after 5 trips to Sainsburys.

This now means that that lovely old couple are now stuck pushing their £200 worth of Metro rather than riding in it. This causes inconvenience, so they return to the local Rover dealership, which, assuming it hasn't managed to go out of business, attempts to charge them almost as much as their entire car is worth for a new Playdoh keyfob.

Dilemma.

So, they push the Metro to Audiolectrics, where I explain to them the

"pretty heinous bodge"

that I am about to carry out. I explain that:

"This input is dioded to the battery input to act as an alternative means of providing power to the microprocessor should the main battery supply fail due to fuse blow etc. Under these circumstances, any outputs requiring ‘high power’ (i.e. CDL, superlock, hazard flash and energiser coil) will be inoperative, however the 5AS will still be capable of allowing the engine to start, provided that the battery supply was lost whilst the alarm was disarmed."

2 Very Blank Faces stare back at me.

I add that:

"When applied to a Rover tin-top this is a pretty heinous bodge, as you lose the security system features like central locking."

A pair of smiling old people look at each other and consider the choice between continuing to push the Metro around Macclesfied (whilst still enjoying the benefits of full central locking when they can actually charm the PlaydohFob into working) or, actually having a running car.

They choose the running car and pay me £12.50 to coax one last disarm from the fob and snip a wire.

And off they chug in a festival of leaking hydrolastic suspension and wobbly wheeltrims. But at least it'll start in the morning and now there is the chance that someone may steal it, thus paying for a new Honda on the insurance with a nice, reliable, Japanese immobiliser......

Mike,

Thanks for working your magic the car is now up and running and passive arming fix is a great feature. *smile*

Julian,

I think your being a bit unfair about Mikes work. The 5AS does it's job well 'All alarm systems have the potential to fail by the time the car thier fitted to is worth £200.

Andy

Ooops! Looks like I've managed to stir Julian up again. Such sarcasm from one so young... 😬

I'll take the "IQ that would topple a cray supercomputer" bit as a compliment!

He does have a point about the longevity of complex vehicle electronic systems. A faulty immobiliser is one thing - you just don't go anywhere - but imagine what happens when your fancy "automatic stability control" system throws a wobbler mid corner! You'll be in the ditch before you know it. I'm sure Julian will concur how easy it is to scrag an entire electronic system by just having a corroded earth connection.

Paul, I am sure that it is possible to "doctor" your EMS, but it would take a Rover powertrain bod (white coat, beard, IQ etc.) to do it. I don't believe either Rover dealers or Caterham have the capability. Is there any chance you cold get hold of the original immobiliser from the 21? Is is gathering dust on a workshop shelf somewhere? Otherwise borrowing a matched immobiliser and EMS, perhaps from someone who has gone supersport, would get you through the SVA.