Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Intrusion in the Cockpit

bcrain

I just bought this 88 Caterham last year and it is particularly leaky (engine, gearbox, diff etc.) bits of oil seem to be splattered on the underside, then seep through the seams of the sheet metal to the interior.

THE QUESTION - is it common or accepted practice to run a bead of silicone rubber around the floor boards and tunnel seams to prevent this. I don't want to make it too hard to remove and replace a panel if it needs it. Is there a better product than the typical silicone RTV (normal US designation)? The faying surfaces have plenty of oil/dirt between them so a bead at the corner should be pretty easy to pull up when the time comes.

Note, the mechanical refitment is scheduled for next year, but I want to do the interior now, so protection is in order.

Just a thought, why not use the time to clean all the oil from the engine, gear box and diff now. You will then be able to see exactly where the leaks are. After every run you then only need to mop up the hopefully small amounts of seepage.

It also unlikely that the silicone will effectively adhere to an oily surface.

Although the oil may be unsightly it is protecting the steel and ally very effectively so there are some plus points to your predicament. 

Madmalc, that seems very reasonable. But, the last time I did that kind of thing, a leaky toilet turned into new toilet, refurbished shower, redone walls, ceiling, new sink & cabinet, new leveled tile floor, replacing door along with lintel/frame and fully remodeling the basement kitchen ... There was more too that all added up to 8 months. These days I'm very sensitive to mission creep. I just hope I don't end up creating a new mission like that yellow 7 did.

PS. The interior is really clean now except really deep in the corners.