Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel showing zero on stack dash

mark_w

just started the car after engine out to replace the clutch and the stack is showing zero with warning light , on the initial start  it did read 10 ltr  ive put 20 ltr in the tank now and still showing zero. Hoping ive missed something simple as the rest of the stack display seems all good

Assuming that you haven't been near the tank and the sender unit recently I'd start by:

1. Seeing if there's anything relevant in the Stack manual, such as resetting.
  2. Identifying the signal wire from the tank sender to the dash at the dash end.
  3. Checking it for damage and the quality of connection to the dash.
  4. Checking the earth from the dash. (Unlikely to be this if everything else is working but a common problem.)
  5. Measuring the resistance across the tank sender at the tank.
  6. Measuring the resistance across the tank sender where the wire is accessible near the dash.

Jonathan

Asuming it's a K-car:

Engine should have nothing to do with the fuel sensor.

If it's a Caterham Stack unit you can not calibrate it. It's preconfigured.

The fuel level sender has to have a black and a green with black tracer. The black is earth and is in a joint where all rear lamps also get their earth. So if you measure the voltage from the black wire at the sender to chassis there should be 0v.

If the tank is close to full there should be only a low voltage between the two wires on the sender.

The signal wire goes to pin "R" on the dash. There are no connectors in between the sender and the connector at the dash.

I find it unlikely but yet possible that you've damaged the wire when removing the engine.

First try to short the green/black wire to earth. Bear in mind that the input reacts slowly on the dash.

If it's over the weekend I might be able to talk you through over the phone. You'll probably want me to call you as I'm in Denmark (and I don't mind). Send me a PM with your phone No and if you need a copy of the wiring diagram I need your email address.

so thanks rj and Jonathan got to checking out today and turns out once i got the boot floor up all looked abit dry on the sender unit terminals so cleaned them up and we are showing the correct level again so a bit of blatchat hand holding has got another electrical problem solved,.. Cheers,