Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BMW Diff leak - replacing oil seal

TBKBABABTIM

Thanks, not going to let this go with CC yet but if it isn’t too difficult to do then might be easier do it myself rather than wait for time when they can do it and drive it there and hang around while it’s done, then drive back, it’s not a great drive for me to Crawley, basically Mway for 95%

You can unbolt the hub at the Dedion ear after moving the brake caliper to the side in the same way you would for a brake pad change, the driveshaft can then be withdrawn the 50mm or so it needs to clear the seal. Make sure the seal is only seated flush with the face of the recess it fits into, as it can be tapped in a lot further, to the point it won't seal on the driveshaft properly.

Despite thinking that CC really should do the whole job under warranty I am leaning towards just asking them to send the new seal and throw in new oil for the diff and I will do it myself, saves me the hassle of getting there and back and hanging around while they do it plus waiting for them to advise when they could do it, they said it should be 1/1.5 hours labour so maybe 2/2.5 for me which would be much quicker than taking it to them and I can start the work of removing while I wait for the part. 

A few question if anyone can help, can I remove the brake caliper and just lift it slightly out of the way without removing the brake lines?

Apart from disconnecting from the De Dion is the anti roll bar the only other thing I need to disconnect? Think I will have to cut the zip ties that attach the handbrake cable and the one which attaches the speed sensor cable but cant see anything else that would need to be moved?

CC finally agreed to send new seal and new diff oil, so starting to look at removing the old one. Am I right that I can remove the caliper from the caliper carrier and leave the carrier attached to the hub assembly?

It would mean I have to move the caliper a shorter distance to clear the disc which would help in not damaging the brake line. 

Am I right that I can remove the caliper from the caliper carrier and leave the carrier attached to the hub assembly?

No, you have to remove the entire caliper. There are two fingers that carry the outer pad that get in the way. Just take great care when flexing the brake line.

JV

I find it cheeky of CC to ask you to change the seal.  The warranty is on the part supplied, that being a complete diff with seals installed. I think I would be taking the diff out as a complete unit and getting them to install the seal.   I had a gearbox problem during IVA, they did not supply me with 3rd, 4th and a complete set of bulk rings, but I had to remove the gearbox and refit it.   Also had shock and rear calliper failures under kit warranty, all removed and refitted by me.

I think if I had really pushed in the end they might have done it but dont know how long that would have taken, it took a few days to get them to agree to pay for the oil. Plus 100 mile round trip to Crawley on the motorway as they had said it cant wait till first service I reckon would have been looking at a couple of weeks not able to drive the car, so I let it go.

...cant see what they would get in the way of?

You're quite right, and I'm an idiot!  I was mistakenly thinking you wanted to get the hub and disc off.

I think I would be taking the diff out as a complete unit and getting them to install the seal.

I agree, as otherwise you run the risk of triggering a separate problem that could itself invalidate the warranty.

JV

I think all my warranty claims took a couple of days to approve, once the part arrived before the confirmation email.   Agree with trying to get it on the road, not running back and forth to CC,, obviously given the expense of my gearbox failure and the time involved the round trips to CC South was the least of my concerns.

CC have come back to me saying they can either send me a new seal or I can take the car to them to do but will have to pay labour as my warranty only covers parts ...

Thinking about this a little more...

When you ordered the kit (in 2013 I think you said), was there an option on the order form to pay extra for warranty labour charges (around £800 IIRC).  If so, did you take up the option?

When I took delivery of my kit in 2008, the notes I took at the time re the labour warranty option (which I declined, even though it was only £250 then) said: "Labour cover for all warranty repairs -- up to 12 months from date of registration or 18 months of delivery, whichever is sooner."    If that was the same for you,  CC may already be offering more than they're obliged to.

JV

I didin't pay for the extra labour warranty, actually thought it was I year parts but when I picked it up they said it was 2 years.

Reason I was arguing with them was that this seems to be a known issue on a part that is supplied as a unit  and occured on the day I picked it up.

Parts Warranty is in place as I only picked it up at beginning of July, they said at the time I picked it up they would consider contributing to labour if anything was an engine or gearbox out job.

I understand that if they didnt actually build it and the fault is because of an incorrect build which isnt obvious during PBC then it should be down to the owner but if a part they supplied is faulty or fails and its something they know can be an issue they really should offer to do it.