Click here if you are having website access problems ×

North East Fish and Chipper.

Manstein

Thanks Chris........next North East mosie out. More tour than blat with crusing type roads. Initial rough outline is meet at Washington Services for around 9 to 9.30 for a 10am departure. Head off up through the Tyne Tunnel (obviously remembering to keep the revs down as it does really reverberate and echo in there and we wouldn't want that would we). Then, off up the coastal route and ultimately to Seahouses for the aforementioned Fish & Chips with a seaview. I'll get some more details of route and stopping points for those north of the Tyne so you can join in. Watch this space and emails over the next week or so. Kenty's plan originally so feel free to add Mr Trebel

The route is very straightforward

A194M, A194, then north on A19 through the Tyne Tunnel.

Right onto A189, signposted for the rest of the route (brown tourist signs) Scenic Coastal Route, through Newbiggin, right onto A1068 past Alnmouth, right onto B1339 northwards and a series of B roads still signposted for the scenic route till we get to Seahouses.

As Paul rightly says, this is a tour rather than fast blat and caravans/campervans  may occur but I hope that this run may appeal to some who aren't necessarily into fast, challenging runs.

Oh, and there's chips and 2p machines!

That sounds fine I'm amazed how busy Stanhope gets on a weekend coming back from the North York Moors it was standing room only when we passed through. Getting the ferry from Newcastle on Sunday en route Norway so I think some packing will have to be done.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, plan for this weekend’s inaugural “Northern 7’s Fish & Chip Run” is attached (stick the link into a browser and should come up). Starts at Washington Service A1(M) Northbound at 9.30 for a 10 leave – takes in the Tyne Tunnel, and on northward up the Coastal Route to Seahouses. Expect to be arriving in Seahouses around 11.30 (ish). After the aforementioned Fish & Chips, we are going to head to Alnwick and then on to Rotherbury and Otterburn and ultimately onto Simonburn where I am assured there is a great café for a cuppa and a breather.

Would appreciate if you could let me know re: attendance so we can make sure we are covered in terms of numbers of plans and breaking into smaller groups if needed

https://goo.gl/maps/W99jZy56SGL2

Cheers

Paul

*driving* 

Plan for Fish & Chipper - Sunday 5th August

• Meet at Washington Moto Services for 9.30 (I’ll be there from 9ish for coffee)
  • Leave at 10 in a line behind Kenty and make way towards Seahouses, via the Tyne Tunnel *driving* & the Coastal Route (A19 then A189 then A1068), with a stop at Hipsburn to “Chez Dennis” at 10.45 to 11 – saying hello to the family and Andy has also offered teas/coffee and the use of facilities for those who need them. We are also going to play a game of “how many 7’s can we get on Andy’s drive” which I think will make a good photo for Low Flying (I’m hoping we get more than 7 cars out? So far, only confirmed attendance is Andy, Kenty & eldest, Steve, Chris, John & Ann & I).
  • Andy will then lead us on some of his favourite roads from Hipsburn up to Seahouses, where we will find a car park and chippy – guessing we will be there at 12 – 12.30ish
  • After lunch, plan is to head towards Alnwick, Andy tells me there is a BP petrol station just outside Alnwick which we will use as a midway point to brim tanks for those who need to. Andy will guide us there.
  • From Alnwick, Chris H is going to take the lead and take us onward across to Rothbury, Otterburn and then cross country from Otterburn to Simonburn & Chollerford (off the A68, north of Corbridge) where we will have a coffee/pitstop. Then disperse from there (A69/A68 junction).

From Washington to Simonburn, the loop is c. 130 miles, so add on any travel to and from Washington/Simonburn (it’s about 80 – 90 miles for me, so I will definitely need to refresh the tank at Alnwick)

Aim is for a gentle drive up the coastal road – a tour more than blat, with some fantastic scenery (apparently the views from the road from Alnwick to Rotherbury is stunning)