Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower wish bone spherical ball joint

gavingraysonr300

Morning. It can be a swine to get the old one out of the cup in the wishbone. Gary May did one of mine and it nearly broke the vice before letting go ! Bearings ... contact Nigel Tovey at Strand Bearings 01903241621

I did one of mine in situ with a range of washers, sockets and threaded bar for pressing out. There is a funny clip to get out which can test your patience - its a bit like a cross between a circlip and a key ring. Thats possibly the only thing I'd order from Caterham if the car has to be back on the road quickly. If its a leisurely repair over winter just order if you break the original one!

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/wishbones/1770-circlip-spherical-joint-lower-wishbone.html?search_query=spherical&results=9

• Area Representative

The circlip can be a swine to remove & often gets bent or broken.

The bearing removal can be carried out in situ with as already described a threaded rod washers & sockets.

With the old bearing removed you will find a certain amount of corrosion in the suspension arm cup. Carefully & gently remove as much as you can with red scotch brite & WD40. 

When clean & dry fit new bearing with bearing lock applied to the outer face. This is to take out any very small amount of play that may exist, which having changed a few is the general case.

After refitting (new) circlip give the bearing  lock time to cure.