Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half doors – a problem I have…

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

So… I have two sets of half doors:

1. An ‘official’ set of half doors – these fitted my last car perfectly and are like new, but don’t fit my SL-R as the poppers are mis-aligned.

2. A set of fabric softbitsforsevens halfdoors – these fit my SLR perfectly but one of the passenger slide poppers keeps opening at speed. I thought I had come up with a solution this week by adding some sticky velcro to the offending area, but it happened again on a Sunday blat!

Ideally I’d like to keep the official set as they look great, are nearly new and give a little extra elbow room, but can they be modified?

I can’t be the first to have this problem, so wondered what others have done?

Thanks

Nick

• Leadership Team

When I fitted a used set to my car I firstly removed all the old poppers and fitted new ones in the correct places for my car, then I glued small circles of vinyl over the old holes to hide them. I made the circles by using a paper hole punch on some spare vinyl - actually speaker cabinet vinyl because it's thinner with less of a fabric back. I'll see whether I can find some if I have some left. Hardly noticeable if you use the glue carefully.

If it's the front popper that's a problem you can use a "Lift The Dot" popper which will be more secure although the base is not as tidy when you don't have the half doors fitted.

Stu.

Slight thread hijack...

Just about to fit my first set of half doors that have arrived as two lovely bits of kit from Thundersports/Oxted and a bag of poppers to attach.....an afternoon session beckons BUT I'm not sue what/how to punch the holes in the doors ready to accept the poppers. Position is easy as I have a full tonneau and poppers in place already...

Dave

• Area Representative

Thanks Stu - I think the approach you mention is what I'm going to have to do.

Such a shame these popper bases are drilled at the factory to allow standardisation - it would make life a whole lot simpler!