Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Mounts - Solved

AdamQ

I completed a nut-and-bolt rebuild of my 1999 Seven a while ago.  Since then, I've been suffering from a lot of vibration through the steering wheel (numb fingers after 30 minutes or so driving) which wasn't there before the rebuild.

Having checked all the usual suspects (worn or incorrectly installed bushes, primaries in contact with steering column, overlength mount bolts and a host of other things), I've just removed the big long engine mount bolts, put the weight of the engine on a jack and raised it a few mm.  The vibration disappeared completely.

The rebuild included new mounts off eBay (C18556 Jaguar E-Type items).  Would I be correct in assuming that not all mounts are created equal?  Naturally (or maybe not) I went for the cheapest UK items I could find.

I've done a brief search of the archives on the Vibra-Technics mounts (£113 a pair ...!) - are there any strong opinions on the worth of these?

Given that all was well with standard mounts before I replaced them, logic suggests taking a gamble on another - better quality - set of 'standard' mounts ...

OK, Marcus Adams (Mucus72 on here) recently built a new 420 and had very similar problems. I experienced it first hand, the vibration was odd and unpleasant. I think in his case it was fixed with a change of engine mounts, but I suggest dropping him a BM for the details?

It seems all engine mounts are not created equal.  Having hunted high and low for the old engine mounts, I've fitted them and the vibration is gone.

In fitting them, I looked carefully at the original mounts and the replacements I'd used.  There's a big difference in the thickness of the rubber between the bit the large mount bolt goes into and the base of the mount that bolts to the chassis: ~10 mm on the originals versus ~2 mm on the replacements.  The minimal rubber and consequent lack of compliance in the replacements in the region described would appear to be the problem.

FWIW ...

Adam

Has anyone successfully used the vibra-technics mounts to reduce vibrations through the steering wheel? 

Also, does anyone understand why they are listed as imperial chassis?  On the Caterham parts website there is only one type and no mention of imperial/metric.

https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/kit_car/caterham

​My 2011 Sigma SV 150 suffers from vibration through the steering wheel at 4K RPM+.  Always has.  Neither I nor Kendrick Motors have been able to find out why.

Jim