Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry Sump plumbing on LOTUS Twin Cam/ Crossflow Help

auyt

I have just finished having a Twin Cam engine rebuilt for my 85 Caterham.

The engine has been dry sumped with Titan pump remote filter type and Alloy sump.

Tank is going where the battery used to reside. Id like to see how others with similar engined cars with dry sumps are plumbed and where did you put the filter, pictures would be great please.

• Area Representative

my old crossflow had the oil filter situated remotely in front of the carbs within the nose just prior to the (or after, can't recall the direction of flow) oil cooler. It was a mocal remote filter housing. I have a picture so will post once I get the idea on how to upload to this forum.

• Area Representative

to be honest I can't recall the filter type itself, it was fitted as per that photograph before (or after) the oil cooler to a mocal remote filter housing. My current 7 is dry sumped but is a c20xe engine not sure if any pictures of that would help. However does the below image help, grabbed it from google!

200412519183567135.jpg.f576e84c9bf57df72606cba618881328.jpg

Hi Guys the plumbing schematic isn't the concern its just the physical location and as Oliver suggested the steering rack mounting bracket is worth investigating, The other suggestion i have considered is a cover plate for the fuel pump that can mount the filter ala FF

I "fettled" the back plate on the remote filter housing and slotted it into the former water bottle bracket that is approximately underneath the rear carb. I have also seen the filter mounted in place of the mechanical fuel pump and that looks fine also. Has the advantage that the filter housing and pump are attached to the same solid object (the block) so there is no flexing.

I route the return pipe as per the picture above. The feed from bottom of the DS tank to the pump I route underneath the bellhousing. No damage in last 10+ years D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found this picture which shows the BDR model with the oil supply line running under the car. Are there any BDR owners on here?http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/10204/d7.jpg