Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero filler cap distorting back panel - what am I doing wrong?

CharlesElliott

I've fitted three aero caps to two different cars and always had the problem where the filler neck is not even close to being flush/parallel to the rear panel which means it is hard to fit and distorts the rear panel when you bolt it up.

This is the newer aero cap that comes with a new filler neck and no collar. The bolts supplied aren't long enough for a collar, but it seems like it needs one!

Has anyone else had the same, or can tell me what I am doing wrong?! This is the one I am talking about.

If you slacken the two tank fixing hook bolts, can you move the tank at all to help ? Try slackening the hose clamps on the hoses at the tank end and move the hoses a little. On mine the main fill hose was too long so I shortened it.

Yes, loosening things off does help a bit but I’d still say the tank is two-three inches further away from the panel than it needs to be (same on my other cars). On the metric chassis there are brackets that hold the tank an inch or so off the rear basket tubes so you definitely can’t get it closer. 

I had the same issue the aero will fit perfectly without the filler to tank hose as these are about 10mm out of line, I wasnt happen with shuffling the tank as I wanted to ensure it was correctly secured so opted for cutting and rewelding the steel filler neck so it now lines up perfectly.

I basically cut a small wedge out of the neck untill it line up then rewelded it.