Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RE R400 / 1444 Cams

Ian Mackenzie

My car is not road registered, but I am looking at putting it through the IVA, so it will need to pass the BET test (Basically the MOT emissions test for engines with catalytic converters). My engine started off life as a stock R400 with roller barrels, the head now has bigger valves and 1444 cams. 

My question is... will I be able to pass the BET test with 1444 cams ?

Thanks

Ian

• Leadership Team

Ian, my 1900K was previously running Jenveys with 1444 cams plus an Emerald ecu. A few years ago, whilst being MOT'd we used a laptop to make some adjustments to try to get it into the range needed .... I've done basic fueling etc with the Emerald before but achieving the levels needed to pass an MOT was nigh on impossible, it needs skill and experience, ie. somebody who knows what they're doing not somebody who just tinkers. As one aspect of the emissions improved, another would go way too high, plus there's a substantial delay in the test equipment responding to adjustments being made, no good for something you're trying to fine tune.

I think realistically you need advice from an expert, Oily, Dave Walker or maybe the 2 Steves as to what can be achieved.

Also it's not a 2 minute job to swap the cams to something with less overlap because they'll be running solid followers, although I'm sure you're already aware of that!

Stu.

Edited to add ... Oily has spoken!

Hi Stu

Thanks for the update, the cams are currently out the engine as I'm re-shimming the followers as a couple were out of spec..... (On hold due to cold weather....)

I've built a couple of ECUs before (Megasquirt II and III) which have run a Duratec and a K Series, so this is my first time with the Emerald.

The last K series I did all the mapping myself (It ran well, though a session on the rolling road would have improved things further), I also did some porting and fitted some QED 375HK cams and got the car through the emissions with my map, all be it at the local MOT station with my laptop to do some final tuning.....though that was with a wideband sensor, which was a lot better than trying to use the narrowband sensor.....

Once the engine is back together and the weather is a little warmer I'll have a look at the emissions....I may invest in a wideband sensor to get a better range of readings....

Thanks

Ian

Unless you have an ecu that can cycle the fuelling with the wide band it might be easier to use a normal switching sensor. You want to keep the cat stoked with good switches rather than a steady fuelling state. This will help it get the emissions down.

Wideband is better as you say for mapping but not necessarily for emissions if it can't be operated correctly.