Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supersport-R 1999 1.8K EU2: shift light coming on when cranking and at tick-over

John Vine

My S-in-L reports (from many miles away) an odd problem with his SS-R 1.8K EU2 (my original 7). The shift light comes on during cranking, and remains on at tick-over.  But after a few more starts, the light remains off, as it should.  (Normally, of course, it wouldn't light up at all under 7200 rpm.)  Any suggestions re the possible cause?  My initial thought was that, as the shift-light lead comes directly from the ECU, maybe there's a poor ECU earth?

JV

That sounds as if it's coming on when the system voltage is low. I'd start by checking the battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking and at 3,000 rpm.

Presumably the shift light was behaving normally in the past... it might be helpful to confirm that it is still coming on when it should. (And that it's not the mystery engine warning light!)

Any recent work on the car? Has it been drowned recently? And are all other electrical bits working normally? 

Have you both got the appropriate wiring diagram already?

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan. 

• Low voltage: maybe but I don't see how it would affect a shift light?  Battery is capable of starting the car (not an easy task on an SS-R with RBs in freezing weather!)
  • Shift light behaviour: AFAIK it has been working ok -- S-in-L doesn't suggest otherwise
  • Recent work: don't know -- I'll ask
  • Drowning: again I don't know -- I'll ask (he does live in Wales so the answer may well be yes!)
  • Wiring diags: yes, we have

JV

• Area Representative

John   I had this on my R300K a few years ago, after it got a monumental soaking on the way home from Brands Hatch. It came on and then later glowed dimly as it started to dry out. I have assumed that the water got into some of the connectors, but now it’s fine. A hair dryer on the connections may help.

• 3 weeks later...

An update...

First, with ignition off:

SS-Rdashlights.jpg.cd3a9c4fe73e65bd33049cc1584110df.jpg

From the top:

• Change-up (clear magnifying lens)
  • Alt (red)
  • Main beam (blue)

Second, with ignition on but engine not running:

SS-Rdashlightswithchange-uplit.jpg.dde580fd13a9e0865aaf5464de17b95e.jpg

S-in-L reports that "the change-up light is coming on when the ignition is on but now going out on the first attempt to start and then staying off. I think this has improved with re-doing the ground point of the ECU."

JV