Click here if you are having website access problems ×

External water pump for K-series

rj

I have kept mine as I like to keep the heater for those long and damp trips, where a bit of warmth makes it much more bearable.

I think the EWP makes sense. After a little blat this afternoon, the fan came on when I was reversing into the garage. It stayed on for a while at tick over, so I lifted the revs to 1500 rpm and the fan soon cut off. So it would seem to me that there is not enough flow at tick over.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fan probably doesn't need to run all the time. I hate to say it, but the best you can do is to wire in the fan and pump to run without ignition on and then have a thermo switch for each. Brazing a boss in the water rail isn't a big issue. If anything else fail, send it to me and I'll do it for you. I won't re-powdercoat though. It'll just be Hammerite.

If you have the water rail with bosses for senders I'd try to use the rearmost as it has M10x1 thread. The sensor I'm using is supplied with M14x1.5 but I have turned it down and cut an M10x1 as that was the boss I had brazed in.

My switch is located between cyl 2 & 3 facing upwards.

Yes, but it has been a long time since I removed the ECU sender.

I already have a couple of hose joiners that I can either replace, or drill and tap to suit. I need something where I can replace parts easily if I need to.

It is actually the sensor for the gauge you're replacing.

I haven't seen your installation, but on my car those sensors are dead easy to replace.

This is likely to do the job. They usually kick in a bit earlier than stated:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Thermo-Switch-M10x1-100c-Yellow-191919521d-102937756-919260010-1008100002/283427041445?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D9ad611a0c7f9440780896874ce47b6a3%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D283427041445%26itm%3D283427041445&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

No link because it didn't work yesterday

I was thinking of using the same type of switch as the radiator switch for a fan. I would place this in a threaded adaptor in the top hose. The advantage being they are a pretty universal part. It has an M14 x 1.5mm thread. They are available in a wide range of temperature settings.

My thoughts were that as long as the coolant flowing out of the engine has a high temperature, the pump will kick in to circulate the water. As soon as it reaches a suitable temperature, it will turn itself off again.

I don't like the sensors being installed above the exhaust manifold, as they seem to get fried on a regular basis.

Erhm no, because the water will be flowing even when the engine is turned off. Hence the maximum temp is around 100 degrees which it'll survive :-p

The other thing is that it's exactly where the critical high temperature will be measured.

Where in the circuit will the pump be? You mentioned that you still have the bypass hose and if you just feed the thermostat housing the flow direction in the bypads will be wrong. The bypass has to be at the feed of the pump.