Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water temp gauge pin layout

sjl1

Hello

Trying to add an oil temp feed to water temp gauge to my newish 360r and it has a fancy new caerbont 3/4 deflection temp gauge with a multi pin socket. (Have tapped a water temp sender into the blue finger filter plug)

Am i right to assume this works the same as the old 1/4 deflection analog gauges? It has 4 leads going on which i am assuming are analog water temp feed, earth, lighting and associated earth, should be able to work these out with the trusty multimeter but if anyone has a pin layout it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Simon

If the gauge is like this

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/gauges/6217-fuel-gauge-base-pack.html?search_query=Water+gauge&results=134

Then wiring for fuel and water is as follows so assume oil is the same.

these are the very small clip fastened connectors. They have the​ pin numbers on the body of the plug if you look carefully.

Fuel & Temp

1= Ignition  2= Not connected  3= Illumination  4= Ground  5= Signal Input 

this is type of connector “Minor Gauge connector shell             0-0794617-6          6 way Tyco”

Thanks Chris, yes, helpful, wasnt aware of the CAN protocol, so next question is does this gauge take an analog input for temp senders or has that signal been digitised in an ecu first? Given that these gauges swing the needles at startup i guess it must be digital

Sounds like the old fashioned switch bodge to flick between oil and water temp isnt going to work, hmmm

Looks like there is a digital temp sender specifically for the new CAN bus cars, only hope is if someone knows how to add an additional oil temp sender into the CAN bus wiring loom. Caterham parts dont think it can easily be done, shame

It might be a touch easier than that.   I don't think digital senders have replaced the analog units, I think it's analog to the ECU (MBE) and Tacho, and CAN from ECU to Tacho and then to the other instruments.   Problem is I have never seen a wiring diagram for the CAN based 3/4 sweep instrument car.   The wringing diagrams I have seen all seem to be a little outdated.   The startup full sweep is a tell tail sign.    I have a CAN decoding scope, but haven't owned a car with CAN instruments, my 2015 kit 360R has 1/4 sweep analog instruments and part of me is happy with the simplicity. 

When I get my hand on a car with CAN instruments I will decode it.   I suspect they have aligned themselves with whatever Suzuki was doing from their ECU to have a consistent set of gauges between cars. 

Guys I don’t think these are CAN based gauges, yes they are electronic and stepper motor driven but not reading a can message. Certainly the ones I linked to previously appear to be identical to the OPs but with a different face. These use exactly the same analogue sender units as the old analogue gauges.

the Carebont tech guides show you how to identify the base gauge architecture and the senders to use.

My comments are based on comments made by CC during my build in 2016, and http://www.caigauge.com/automotive where they talk about CAN instruments.  

As I said an up to date wiring diagram would help.   Do Caerbont publish pdfs for Caterham gauges, I have only seen documents on the smiths range, which I agree are analog.  You don’t get any documentation when you buy a gauge from CC parts.

The green and blue wire into the plug is the sender wire which needs to be switched, used a multi meter to work out which is which, all works well

The wiring doesnt seem to match up with the caerbont tech guide but dont suppose the caterham wiring would be expected to?