Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Headlights flickering

Tartanbj

Have fitted 7" LED Headlights to 310R - great results except a a bit of flickering

Fitted Canbus into headlight wiring to compensate and it works great on driver side - no flickering at all - but still a bit of flickering on the passenger side

Both Canbus heat up so doing there job but can't seem to get rid of the flickering on one side

any ideas?

• Area Representative
It is a tricky situation. I think that probably we all want to shift from tungsten-halogen to LED but are not quite confident that the technology has been perfected for automotive use.

It is certainly close but a Seven will give any component a sterner test of its physical robustness than most cars. This is something we have to live with, if the component is robust enough for most cars, that is where it is likely to remain.

1. What type of lamps?
  2. Do they have a control unit/ dongle or does the traditional wiring go directly to the lamp?

I'd want to distinguish between flickering due to the electrical feed and flickering due to something intrinsic. How about:

1. Looking at the feed voltage while one of them is flickering.
  2. Disconnecting them totally from the car and reconnecting them to a steady 12 to 13 V feed. If you don't have anything else you could do that with the car battery, again disconnected from everything else.

What doe CAN bus have to do with this?

Jonathan

Hi

1. Lynx 

2. Straight in to H4 connector

I'll try 1 and 2 ideas ta 

whats interesting is the one of them has no flickering at all.  When investigating the WWW they advised fitting a CAN bus to help pull the right load as LEDs pull a lot less - that can solve flickering - and it did - but just for one of them ;(

I had a set of 5 3/4 on and there was no flickering so I agree with point on some work and some dont!

But of course I couldn't leave it alone, could I ! Had to go 7" and they do look nice, one step forward, one step back - gives me something to ponder and fiddle with tho'

cheers

Bruce

• 1 month later...