Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Schroth Caterham 6 point harness fitting instructions

CharlesElliott

• Leadership Team

Charles

I'm not aware of any Caterham-specific instructions but there are plenty of Schroth installation guides available online.  I have pdf copies of several so if you drop me a PM with your email address I can send them to you.

In the meantime, what sort of problem are you having?  There's not much you can get wrong...  I remember having difficulty getting hold of some reducing washers/collars so that the Caterham fixing bolts would locate accurately with the holes in the securing plates at the end of the straps (short-ends only, IIRC) but apart from that it was all straightforward.  Or is it something else?

James

• Leadership Team

Charles - it sounds as though we're all talking about the same thing; I called them reducing washers/collars and others have referred to them as top-hats.

You do need to ensure that the securing bolts are correctly sleeved to make them a good fit to the holes in the belt plates.  The top-hat/collar/washer (whatever) acts as a bush for the belt mounting plate; the belt plate should be free to rotate around the o/d of the bush/top-hat/collar/washer (whatever) and the bolt should be a similarly snug fit through the internal bore of the aforementioned part.  The bolt actually tighten down on the bush/top-hat (etc) without clamping the plate itself, so that the plate is free to move even though the bolt is fully tightened.  ** See post below - looks like this is, um, err, wrong. **

The problem I experienced is that the hole diameter in the Schroth belt plates is smaller than the diameter in the standard Caterham supplied plates, so the standard Caterham bushes/top-hats (etc) will not fit.  Eventually, I managed to source some parts with the correct dimensions (through Schroth, I think).

Let me know if I'm on the right track and if you need more information; I should be able to find the details of what I purchased and where from.

James

• Leadership Team

Charles - digging back I think you need 8 off (yup; all eight mounting points...) of the Schroth 'long' sleeve which is part number S65L (where 'L' refers to long) to go with the B24 type of belt plate that you're almost certain to have.

Just been out to the car to check and - despite what I said earlier - in actual fact all of the belt plates are locked tight around the spacer/top-hat thingy...  So positioned for the belts to be 'pointing' in the right direction then tightened down.  Sorry to have got that wrong; memory plays strange tricks!

Further detail here:

Schrothsleeves.jpg.f36df951d10c795e889ac71c0d530ee1.jpg

Blimey - I even managed to insert an image!!

James