Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Am I about to make a poor decision.....?

Paul Mason

Maybe I should add "another" into the title, but as this is a 7 based question and not general life based question, think I'm ok as is....

Anyways, my 1.8k series has Jenveys and an airbox (filter in the nosecose behind rad on near side, connected with what has been described on here as "donkey dick"). Been toying with the idea of swapping airbox for a dome type filter (Jenvey has them on their website for £83 assuming I can reuse the airbox mount to mount a filter, otherwise an additional £49).

I get that the airbox acts as a noise surpresor, however I'm not a fan of the aesthetics (yes I know, function should come over form) and I rather like the induction noise so wouldn't mind a bit more?

However, question is, am I going to dent performance and will it need anything doing to the map (Emerald B6?? I think). Finally, is a Bernard Scouse (believed based on previous sales advert) airbox (don't think it's carbon, if it is, it's very shiny) worth anything if I sell or do I just keep as a spare?

Ta's muchly for any advice youse wise ones can offer

Pants! Not sure of length of trumpets TBH, was going to be a job for the weekend to understand exactly what I've got. Out of interest, why would I need a different fuel rail (sits behind fhe mounting plate for the airbox) and regulator? As you can perhaps tell, my knowledge is still on the low side of not a lot!

• Area Representative

Paul

I love your enthusiasm. But my question would be "why do you want to change?" i.e. with what are you dissatisfied?

p.s. Bernard Scouse airboxes have certainly been much in demand in the past, so it certainly has value (but I have no idea how much). 

http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk/Airbox.html

GJT, not dissatisfied per se and absolutely no knowledgeable or experienced reason to suggest change. I don't particularly like the look, I like to be able to see the mechanicals unhindered (I hate modern engine bays swathed in plastic covers etc) don't like the fuss of the pipework and the air filter crammed into the nose cone (the top of the air filter can't take air in I suspect as it's pressed hard against the underside of the nosecone). And, I kinda like the induction roar I've heard on other cars I've driven and want some more of that. My knowledge and ability and experience (or rather the complete lack of all of the above) play no part in my thought process!

I have just done this. I fitted a JC50 filter instead of the scouse airbox. Its not a straight swap. New backplate required and indeed the fuel rail does not quite realign with the securing bolts. It took two attempts to get the holes for trumpets in an acceptable position to make it fit. I bought a blank filter plate, but screwed it up and had to make my own out of 2mm ali, not too difficult but time consuming. for the fuel rail I have secured it temporarily with tie wraps through the bolt holes until I think of something better. Can't tell you about any possible gains as I still need to put it on RR.

This is with 90mm trumpets, note it is only possible to fit upside down so the tabs that hold on filter are a little awkward to say the least. Also had to move the cooling submarine right out to the chassis rail and tie the thermostat hose down to avoid contact. Clutch cable still contacts in front of pedal box...

filter.jpg.7a507eb4919095357924abdcd517262b.jpg

Hi Paul, Jenvey sells the fuel rail and you can get hold of a fuel regulator anywhere. The standard regulator sits too close to the back plate and is in a fixed position. You could use spacers between the trumpets and back plate or try Emerald adjustable trumpets which have a facility for mounting a backplate directly to the trumpets