Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Social media and overall priorities

Jonathan Kay

The Modest Proposal reposted from the discussion of social media in order to put everything in Suggestions to make it easy for the working group.

The highest priority is improvements to the web site, because:

1. It does a lot more than support the discussion forums. 
  2. Changing a lot of the functions to Facebook would be a massive endeavour.
  3. Some Members don't want to use Facebook regardless of functionality.

Those improvements to the website are:

1. Improved handling of images and videos.
  2. A mobile-friendly interface.
  3. Everything else, including the known current problems (including searching), suggestions (from Suggestions), getting the old Blatchat database back up and searchable (and we have an offer from a Member to do that) and multiauthor wikis.

To the best of my knowledge all of that can be done through Drupal, either with reconfiguration or addition of modules, but I have no idea of the cost.

Constructive criticism welcome.

And I'd be very interested in others' views of what should be hidden from the world and what shouldn't.

Jonathan

Addenda:

1. There is a group now working on this.
  2. Shaun subsequently responded on searching and the availability of the old Blatchat database.
  3. From what I can tell Members' desires for improved images and videos aren't limited to easier creation of links, but would include galleries, a bit of manipulation, inline video and drag and drop.

• Improved handling of images and videos.
  • A mobile-friendly interface.
  • Everything else, including the known current problems (including searching), suggestions (from Suggestions), getting the old Blatchat database back up and searchable (and we have an offer from a Member to do that) and multiauthor wikis

100% agree Jonathan - biggest bugbears for me are mobile interface and images.

Really like the suggestion re: gallery - I could spend hours looking at (though not coveting) other peoples 7's and reading their spec's etc. I love the variety you get with a 7 and how different owners personalize. Doesn't matter what you have, whether its like mine or not, I like learning about other peoples cars - have recently been reading the C7Cat website and its a fascinating history on Aeroscreens car & changes to it - also been in touch with another owner to find out more about his car. Be great to have a page here where you can share some images and description of what you've got and why you love it. It would have a least 1 regular visitor in me!

• 5 months later...