Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Update from EU2 to EU3 - (MEMS 3)

Edzup Ezzer

I’m planning on updating the engine in my ’97 1.6 K Series Supersport from EU2 spec to EU3 (MEMS3) spec so that K-Maps can remap the engine for me.  I have most of the hardware (inlet manifold, cam cover etc) sorted but not the most important part, namely the MEMS3 ECU. 

Can anybody furnish me with the Rover part number for a MEMS 3 ECU to aid me in my search for the correct part.

Ezzer

If for any reason you don't end up getting the one from Simon's friend, Kmaps sell the ECU with their map installed.  I changed from an EU2 to EU3 VVC engine at the beginning of the year and bought an ECU from them.  It was a bit more expensive than buying a second hand ECU from an ebay breaker and sending it to them for mapping but I was happy to pay the premium for a certain amount of guarantee.  Although had there been one for sale through a club member at the time I would have snapped it up! 

I wanted to keep the 5as immobiliser so I sent that to Kmaps who programmed the ECU to it. 

Very pleased with the service and even more pleased with the result. *driving*

• 4 months later...

Progress on my conversion of my 1.6 K series from EU2 to EU3 has been slower (embarrassingly) than I had hoped (for a variety of reasons, not related to the project).  However, I have now encountered an unexpected issue (which I should have foreseen) with the cam shaft.  Obvious now but not to me previously and nobody pointed it out.  Namely the redundant distributor drive on the end of the camshaft.  Can somebody please enlighten me on what to do about the distributor drive on the end of the camshaft.  

Ezzer

Endofcamshaft.JPG.99935e3477b511aca3c66fc7cf496bd9.JPG

Thanks Oily for the advice.

Couldn’t shear the rubber but the whole thing came out.  ‘Tis only a push fit into the end of the camshaft i discovered, but I guess timing of the rotor arm in a distributor is not the critical factor in the K series EU2 spec ignition system.  A push fit for the rotor arm drive spigot would be good enough.  Anyway, end result - progress.

Ezzer