Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rain light to brake light wiring.

Speedtrip

Hi,

I'm still deliberating (and inept) on which light to use as a third brake light. I know a number of owners have used rain lights, which is what I'm leaning towards. I've heard it mentioned there's a need to include a resistor or something within the wiring. 

Can anyone advise one what, if anything, is required to adapt/change the usage? 

Cheers,

Andy

AFAIK the only relevant resistor would be one needed by an LED lamp, there's nothing particularly related to the usage or any change of usage. (Indicators are different.)

Some LEDs for car use come with the appropriate resistor, either as part of the assembly, or for you to fit. If they don't then the relevant information should be included, and there are some clever people here who can work out what's needed. The resistors are widely available.

So when you've decided what to fit, and if it's an LED, post the information here.

Jonathan

AFAIK the only relevant resistor would be one needed by an LED lamp, there's nothing particularly related to the usage or any change of usage.

Unless you're considering using a single lamp both as a rain light on track and a brake light on the road... then there's some diode trickery that's covered in those discussions. 

Jonathan

Thanks again Jonathan.

The light would only be it ended for road use so the rain light element wouldn't be necessary.

Apologies for this but if I'm understanding you correctly, an LED rain light would be need a resistor, either built in or separate to the unit? How would you know if it's built in or not or would you be totally reliant on the instructions?

Andy

... an LED rain light would be need a resistor, either built in or separate to the unit?

Yes.

How would you know if it's built in or not or would you be totally reliant on the instructions?

Don't worry about that. Once you've chosen the one you want it won't be too hard to sort that out from the instructions, asking the supplier or manufacturer and... asking here. 

:-)

Jonathan

Thanks again Jonathan.

I've now ordered the Lifeline unit as posted earlier in this thread. The lights specification includes the following details:

Power supply: External 9 to 14Vdc

Power consumption: 8.4W, 700mA @ 12v

As the unit will take up to 14V it looks to me that it may be okay....but then I now absolutely nothing!

Any thoughts?

My thoughts, having just fitted an FIA rain light as a brake light.

As it was designed for a race car (formula Ford??) which probably does not run an alternator, it is designed for 12 volts. If you run an alternator (14 ish volts) then a resistor needs to be fitted. There were two included in the kit.

The above is subject to someone cleverer knowing more than me who may well correct me!!

Nick

Well the units arrived and there's no mention of the need to include a resistor. So I guess it doesn't need one....

Probably not, but I'd now ask the supplier and manufacturer directly.

I've also got the CC sub loom, anyone know which of the two (grey and green) is the live and earth?

To my surprise I can't find the answer, even in the Guide.

Have you got the subloom connected to the main loom? I'd use a multimeter to test. But then I wouldn't connect anything to a car before testing the wiring.

Jonathan

Well I've installed the rain lights and sub loom and I'm quite pleased. The lights very bright for a brake light  in the dark but as usage will be main during daylight hours and reasonable weather it should be fine. After all the reason for installing the additional unit was so I'd seen braking!

One downside is the light will obscure rear vision a bit; I couldn't quite install as planned, but then vision as it was crap anyway with FIA roll bar!

Oh, and the green wire on the sub-loom is the live. :-)

In order of frequency I use iCloud Photo Sharing, Dropbox, and just about everything else known to man. I think that we now know how to persuade BlatChat to show single images (but not albums, galleries etc) inline from all of them...

What's the problem with Photobucket?

Jonathan

PS: You can show images in BlatChat either by uploading them directly or by linking to them on an another server.