Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Identifying ECU and serious misfire on mystery engine

polainm

Hi

I have some mystery parts fitted to my Seven. Like the engine and ECU! If anyone of you likes a remote diagnostics challenge, here we go :-) ...

THE BACKGROUND

I'm now the owner of the 1995 S3, C7 LDA. The previous owner but one (on here) was 'Happylarry' of Cookham, Berks. I've not been able to contact him yet.  He had loads of work done on it in 2005/6, converting from Ford 1700 X-flow to a 2004 Zetec E Phase II 1769cc, with much of the work done by James Whiting, who undertook a major service and cooling system overhaul for me a few months back. He didn't supply the engine though, Larry did.

The Zetec engine is a bit unknown. James thinks it is an early prototype Dunnell engine built in 2006. Hydraulic cam followers, Kent 2002 cams, 40DCOE Webers with 3 progression holes, Dunnell inlet manifold, 4into1 exhaust, Dunnell short sump, lightened flywheel and clutch. Alloy triple pass race radiator with bypass and lower alloy crossover tube from Duratec engine. Paul Dunnell can't trace or recall anything this far back.

It only has a CPS and TPS feed to the ECU as far as I can tell, and uses standard Ford Zetec coil pack.

The engine has covered about 4,000 miles.

THE FAULT

Poor fuel economy is expected but 15-20mpg pootling is dire. When it's been running for about an hour or so, especially in traffic, it sometimes - but not always - cuts out, especially if I brake hard or take a sharp right hand turn and stop. Thermostatic fine cuts in fine between 80-90 degrees. Redlined at 6,000rpm, but James says the cams will be fine to 7,000rpm, but the limitation is the 40s and unknown bolt spec in the rods. Not thrashed and I reckon I've touched 5,500rpm a few times. No evidence of head gasket failure. No compression test done though.

Three times it has started to sound like it has run out of fuel/blocked fuel filter/faulty pump and sounds like an overloaded electric jigsaw, needing revs to stop it stalling and with hardly any power under load. Seriously dodgy when pulling out.

I'm now working my way through the entire fuel/electric system, but your combined expertise/experience is being called on!

SO FAR
Fuel lines - replaced.
Fuel pump & fuse - replaced.
Fuel filter - replaced.
Carb settings - done by James Whiting.
All fuses - checked.

NEXT
Replace coil pack with Ford or Burton MSD.
Spark plugs re-gap to 0.8-1mm (1.3mm cause of coil pack burnout?)
Measure spark plug leads resistance and replace if required.
Clean out any mess in spark plug area, spray high temp silicone grease in area and spark plug boots.
Use dielectric grease on all ignition connections.
Fit heatsink on coil pack plate underside and insulate plate from engine block heat (overheating coil pack degrades faster?)

FINALLY
Take out the ECU and get it checked over.
If faulty, repair. If not, replace with something like Omex OMEM200.

I live in Cambridge, so would welcome suggestions for local (or online) ECU testing and repair agents. Also local recommended rolling road for final diagnosis/(re)setting. Not after exhaustive squeeze of bhp, just decent fast road and improved economy, haha.

The ECU currently fitted hasn't yet been removed from under the dash, as it's a pig to remove, so I've not found any visible markings. I attach a picture of it only. I assumed it was Dunnell sourced in 2005, but with no info, Paul can't identify (or not).

Many thanks for any advice/pointers/supplier/service info.

IMG_1422.jpg.d69b228307204533815aff695e08fb6d.jpg

Matt

Wilsher's garage in Wimpole on the A603 is the place to go to for a rolling road set up on a car with carbs. The rolling road unit is behind the main garage. The guy running it, sorry cannot recall his name, is supposed to be very talented at sorting carb fed engines and would be the first place I would go.

Looks like an old Webcon (Weber Alpha) ECU to me. Most likely ignition only unit as you are on carbs reading your list.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/attachment.php?s=693f1e78d64670f54aeba85dbc932165&attachmentid=50632&d=1325866804&thumb=1 

This is picture of one of those I just found. Looks very similar.

Hi Simon

Bingo! I'd recently found the same picture! Also just had email from James Whiting who also confirmed this. 

My car also has ECU amplifiers, which is all woefully out of date. As I thought, he's suggested ditching the whole lot and going Omex....

Matt

• 1 year later...