Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicators / Hazards not flashing

SteG

Indicators / Hazards  do not flash. All bulbs illuminate when switched on with the direction switch and the hazard switch . Is it one of the relays? Done a quick check and all earths appear good. Suddenly happened, one minute fine and working as normal, next time I used them they refused to flash.

Any clues or should I just purcase a new relay?

Ta

I have also experienced this in the past.

With mine, the hazards always worked fine but not the indicators - but always a temporary fault.

I have replaced the hazard light switch (made no difference) and also fitted a new relay - which possibly worked for a while - but I noticed recently that when it now occurs, the ignition light fails to come on (although engine starts and runs ok). So I'm thinking I may have a poor connection with the ignition wires somewhere which I guess may explain why the hazards work but the indicators sometimes dont.

regards Simon

... why the hazards work but the indicators sometimes dont.

The hazard warning light circuit is probably wired independently of the ignition switch setting, but the indicators aren't, which I think is what you were suggesting.

... when it now occurs, the ignition light fails to come on (although engine starts and runs ok).

Ordinary incandescent lamp in there, not an LED?

I'd have a good look and wiggle around the wiring and connections at the ignition switch. Then trace the ignition warning light circuit, preferably when it ihas failed. Have you got the appropriate wiring diagram?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

yes, that's exactly what I was thinking - basically the hazards would normally function even without the key in the ignition, whereas you would normally need the ignition on for the indicators to work. I just happened to notice on one occasion, that the ignition light (normal bulb not LED) was also not lit - and, possibly coincidentally, all was resolved by wiggling the ignition wires under the dash as you suggest.

I do have a wiring diagram (in the original 1990 build manual) - but, oh dear, I have to confess to finding them rather like reading the Rosetta Stone...