Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series clutch replacement

phil Scown

• Area Representative

Some questions about K series clutch replacement.  Mine's done about 70k miles, and has a release bearing that is very noisy when hot.  I want to replace the bearing, and do the clutch at the same time - the obvious thing to do.... but Caterham and Redline are out of stock. 

Does anyone know the relevant part numbers so that an alternate supply can be found, an equivalent from another manufacturer?  What are the pros and cons of this?

What else would you do at the same time?

Thanks.

I've just done mine using the same SKF bearing CC supply but bought from Amazon (SKF VKC 2144) and a Helix plate and cover, plus a new spigot bearing while I was there.  All back together and working fine.

The Helix clutch has the same pedal feel as the AP but the cover is 300g heavier than the AP one.  The Helix plate looks like a LUK one to me (common OEM supplier) and the cover had presumably incriminating markings ground off so could well just be a decent quality OEM one.  Having said that the AP clutch uses a Valeo friction plate so not particularly exotic either.  My own AP clutch plate disintegrated and after a bit of googling I found plenty of other cases of that happening so I wasn't too concerned about trying a different make.