Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff Replacement

EEK

Imperial S3, left the dedion in place and diff came out easily enough, the power of gravity I guess. Getting the new one in proving a bit harder. In theory it should be easy as car is on a  lift and I can lower it on to the diff which is supported on a work mate. 

Not able to fit it between chassis rail and the dedion, which is pulled as far back as it will go. Only a couple of mm needed 

Is it better to get nose of the diff in first or the rear?

Thanks in anticipation of guidance.

I'm no expert, I've only replaced a diff once, but I lifted the diff with an engine crane and it went in nose down until the back of the diff cleared the dedion, then it was moved rearwards to allow the nose to be lifted. The car was also raised so I could guide the diff and shout instructions to my son on the engine crane.

I found it relatively straight forward but imagine it could be quite tricky lowering the car onto the diff.

Much easier with 2 people. With the top mount of the diff lined up with the diff you should be able to push in the long bolt (rubber mallet maybe needed). For the spacer washers I use grease to hold them together and helps them sit in place. Get one person to hold the diff (they can wiggle it to help) and another to get the top bolt in place.