Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Duratec splutters at just over 6000rpm and goes no further

Hi, on the last track outing my R500 started spluttering at just over 6000rpm. I have changed the plugs and just tried it on the road and no improvement

The track day was in S Ireland (no super for sale) and I had to run ordinary unleaded. Would fuel be the issue? Car perfectly normal and is 100% up to 6000 rpm. Any thoughts appreciated

Also, still has the original pipercross air filter.

Check your air filter, especially if you have one integral to an elephant's trunk that picks up air from road level below the grill as they get filled with all manner of carp.  I saw an R500 engine where the owner had spent a fortune on two rebuilds when all they had to do was change the air filter.

Otherwise check fuel filter/fuel pressure as it's quite likely to be fuel starvation.

Otherwise crank sensor, coil, HT leads.

No idea how relevant this is to a Duratec buy on a K Series the ECU limits the RPM to various round number multiples of 500rpm under various fault conditions, typically sensor failures. If it feels like it is rev limited to 6000rpm it could well be that the ECU is in some kind of limited operation / limp mode. Worth running a diagnostic scan to see if the ECU is trying to tell you something?

As revilla indicates ...

As someone who is also enjoying some misfire issues (engine 'cough' thread) - can I suggest that it's worth getting hold of the SBD CAN dongle and easimap software if you haven't already got it.  Install on a laptop, then do a road test to capture info on the problem while it's happening.

I've not got the bottom of my issue yet, but this kit has helped and will probably prove to be a good investment as other problems come and go.

• 2 months later...